what to do with small, mesh bags (e.g. from onions)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
keljonma said:
In the past, we've filled them with things for the wild birds to use as nesting material........chicken feathers, bits of dog fur, plant trimmings, twine, grass clippings, and bits of straw and/or hay.
Another good idea :cool:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
punkin said:
keljonma said:
In the past, we've filled them with things for the wild birds to use as nesting material........chicken feathers, bits of dog fur, plant trimmings, twine, grass clippings, and bits of straw and/or hay.
Another good idea :cool:
I've done that in the past too.
I was thinking of threading the opening with a draw string and using them as reusable produce bags while shopping instead of using plastic.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
When I first read this thread I had no ideas beyond those mentioned. Well at the holidays I saw a cone shaped tree covered in pieces of, I swear, onion bags and they were spray painted. It looked like they cut circles, gathered them and hot glued onto a paper mache cone base. These were heavily layered and painted. Quite cute.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also, if you are in an area where you have to dig up your flower bulbs, these are great for storeing them in. We use them for suet....chicken treats...I have used them for laundering socks in as well. Keeps those pairs together. If you use cut flowers in the summer, stretch one over a large bowl, and secure with a rubberband...it helps keep those flowers upright!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Save them for home grown garlic/onions. Save the larger ones for drip drying dishes while camping. Feel really good about having a great plan for re-using said bags. Try not to get mad at your kids for using them in a "craft" project that consists the bags you carefully cut open and meticulously stored, hot glued together in a big wad.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I put treats such as a head of cabbage in them and then hang them in the center of my chicken run. It is fun to watch the chickens peck at it as it swings and it keeps them entertainted for a bit. I also use them to store onions and garlic and that kind of thing from my garden.

I have not thought of storing my flower bulbs in them. Now I will have my friends and family save them for me so I will more.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I try not to buy things in them anymore, but we have had some in the past. DH has used a couple to store wine corks in. I think they're still hanging on a nail in the garage, lol.

I like the idea about putting chicken treats in them though.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cut them into 4" squares or so, and stack them in layers of at least 3. Now carefully crochet all around the edges with a strong cotton thread. Voila- a very nice scrubbing pad that rinses clean easily (unlike those nasty green scrubbies that most people use and are impossible to get really clean)