What type of flower is this?

Fuchsia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not exactly sure where to post this so I'm just going to post it in the random ramblings section lol.

I've seen this flower (not even sure if it is a flower) in a few places around our yard (mostly in the woods), I was wondering what it is?

It is a purple pink color, more on the purple side though.

Here is a pic:
flower.png

I had to take a screen shot of the original pic, because it was too big to upload.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

FRINGED POLYGALA​

Common name: Fringed Polygala

Scientific name: Polygala paucifolia

Dimensions:
Flower: 3/4" (1.5 cm) long
Plant height: 3-6" (7.5-15 cm)

Blooming period: May-June

Habitat: Rich moist woods

Description: Violet-pink flowers arise from along stalk from the axils of the upper leaves. Flowers with 3 petals that form tubular shape. Lower petal lip is fringed at the tip. Five sepals, with the two lateral sepals forming "wings" of the flower. Simple leaves, alternate, 1/2-4" (1-10 cm) long, oval with pointed tips arise from underground stalk. Milkwort family.

Fuchsia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's an excellent picture for IDing. Image search came up fringed polygala with many examples that look just like it.

FRINGED POLYGALA​

Common name: Fringed Polygala

Scientific name: Polygala paucifolia

Dimensions:
Flower: 3/4" (1.5 cm) long
Plant height: 3-6" (7.5-15 cm)

Blooming period: May-June

Habitat: Rich moist woods

Description: Violet-pink flowers arise from along stalk from the axils of the upper leaves. Flowers with 3 petals that form tubular shape. Lower petal lip is fringed at the tip. Five sepals, with the two lateral sepals forming "wings" of the flower. Simple leaves, alternate, 1/2-4" (1-10 cm) long, oval with pointed tips arise from underground stalk. Milkwort family.
Thank you so much! That's exactly what it is!!

Latest posts