What would you charge? **UPDATE** $6/hour....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
What would you charge to sit with bedridden elderly lady with feeding tube? Duties will include:
Light housework, cooking for her elderly husband, feeding her, bathing her, keeping her clean as she is bedridden.

I have no idea what to charge per day...does anyone else do this? What is the going rate? Keeping in mind this is in rural Mississippi so the price of services would be likely minimum in comparison to other areas, but I need a rough figure to base my pay and have absolutely no clue what to charge or any idea of a "going rate" for these type services. Also, I have little experience, but they will train in necessary skills required.

Sooooo...any ideas? :)

Collector

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My DW used to do that. I would figure out how many hours per day, and how much a CNA makes in your area and base it off that.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It is 8-10 hours a day. Pretty non specific hours. I have little experience...so wouldn't put myself up there with a CNA. Still, I don't even know what a CNA makes around here :hu I'm so lost.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to get $10 an hour for lighter work than that in an economically similar area a few years ago. But it was a high percentage of retired folks living there, so that could drive up prices for that kind of service.

Around here they pay only minimum wage and no mileage, through an agency. I can't even afford to spend my own gas to drive and work only a few hours here, then another long drive to work a few hours there.

You might call an agency and see what they charge -- not what they pay -- and shave a bit off? Or at least consider that in your calculations.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
I used to get $10 an hour for lighter work than that in an economically similar area a few years ago. But it was a high percentage of retired folks living there, so that could drive up prices for that kind of service.

Around here they pay only minimum wage and no mileage, through an agency. I can't even afford to spend my own gas to drive and work only a few hours here, then another long drive to work a few hours there.

You might call an agency and see what they charge -- not what they pay -- and shave a bit off? Or at least consider that in your calculations.
I was thinking $10 an hour which would be $100 a day, but I will have to wipe rears,cook for the older gentleman(her hubby) fix her formula etc. and didn't want to undercut myself....that was all I had figured LOL! I hope that will be considered a good offer. I think that may be my offer. Ya'll think that's too much? too little?

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I would charge at least $18/hr. Don't sell yourself short.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was going to say $15 per hour.

home health care is hard work...don't think you won't be earning every penny you charge :p you will....lol and home health care is expensive.

don't undercut yourself because it is important work and you will be working very hard in reality.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Look in your local paper and on Monster.com to see what the going rate is for that service. Also keep in mind that if you are an employee of an agency, they are going to be charging much more than they are paying the help.

A friend of mine did this a few years back. She was only getting $7/hour as an employee to do exactly what you are describing. Then one of the clients liked her so much they hired her to work just for them full time. She got $10/hour cash. So even with her getting more money it cost the clients less because they weren't going through an agency.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Just be sure to account for *all* your costs - gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, and other expenses (supplies?).

I know someone who got certified and works in a nursing home making a little over the minimum wage and had to put a year in before getting vacation (the company funded her training and certification).

Anyone out there with experience - if she goes solo with this, should she be worried about any liability? The folks she might be caring for might be okay, but I've known of bizarre things happening because of "interested parties".

Any concerns about working across state lines with regards to taxes, etc.?

Not trying to talk you out of it, just want you and your family's assets covered in the rare chance something out of the ordinary happens! ;)