what would you do different

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Not that I am not afraid of dying because I am not. I am not geting in a plane to jump out of it ever, ever, ever!! I have had a hard enough time flying when I had to. No bungee jumping for me either! I don't care much for heights at all. I am not in a hurry to leave my young children at home right now without me either, they still need me around for awhile.

As to if I would lose my frugalness if we won the lottery, oh heck no! We would just be able to become almost completely & totaly ss, save buying, spices, sugar, tea, coffee, etc.. We would travel a lot take the kids to all the historical sites here in the states first & then travel abroad(homeschooling at its finest-firsthand knowledge).

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
This thread has me cracking up!

IF we played and won, I'd tell no one.

I'd change things little at a time and let people wonder how we got the $ to do what we are doing. :p

I'd drill a well, that's for sure! No more hauling water. I'd also set up a county program for families needing water wells dug on their property.

We'd buy the 10 acres next to us and fence it off for beef and a Jersey milk cow.

We'd build a large barn.

My chicken coops would be heated.

I'd build more chicken coops.

I'd buy out the lumber department at Lowes so I could satisfy all my building needs.

Buy DH his greenhouses.

Build a pond for the pasture field (cows need to drink!)

Buy up enough seed and animal feed that I wouldn't have to leave my property again.

Fence off entire property.

Hide the money that was left. And not in the bank either.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
UT OH Quail sounds like you are going survival mode when you get rich! A scary recluse---I hope not!--LOL-LOL

Hey, is your tax return big enough to get a well drilled? Might be cause times are hard for all, and maybe who drills wells need some business and will work with you....ya never know. People are willing to make more and more concessions on their services with more people spending less and less money on anything. just a thought?!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
UT OH Quail sounds like you are going survival mode when you get rich! A scary recluse---I hope not!--LOL-LOL
Yup, pretty much! I'd use the $ towards whatever would be necessary to fully survive off our own place...right down to stocking up on materials to make our own clothing! Oh and I'd buy my alpaca LOL

Hey, is your tax return big enough to get a well drilled? Might be cause times are hard for all, and maybe who drills wells need some business and will work with you....ya never know. People are willing to make more and more concessions on their services with more people spending less and less money on anything. just a thought?!
Right now we can get one drilled and capped for $2200 so we are saving towards it. Thing is, we don't view it as a necessity, it's a want for us.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
an alpaca...you sure need thick hair sweaters up in your weather!!LOL

yea saving up for stuff means you will eventually get it....hey that is not a bad price at all Quail......I think our wells --which are guaranteed water at any feet---are like $3,200 to start now. 15 years ago I got my deep well for $1800 so I am happy that price is done..LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
$2200 doesn't get us IN the house, though. That's just drilled and capped. We'd still need to get the pump, holding tank, and pipe it to the house.

Hmm I'd also need to buy a hot water tank...hmmm

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL the price is rising as with anything! Ugh

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting thread now because Wednesday's winning Powerball ticket was purchased right down the road from me! They have been smart & not come forward to claim it yet. I'd definitely do it all anonymously.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Interesting thread now because Wednesday's winning Powerball ticket was purchased right down the road from me! They have been smart & not come forward to claim it yet. I'd definitely do it all anonymously.
We would too, we have discussed it many times. We would have an attorney claim it for us like a few other people have done here in AZ.