what would you do different

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
yes i guess i would buy a farm also and help others out

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I would definitely buy a big peice of land...and build a self sufficient cabin on it...buy a motorhome, and I would pay off all our debts. And there are certain friends and family members I would like to help out.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
1. Quit my job to farm & do my girls group full time
2. Buy a bunch of land & build a passive solar house.
3. Start college funds for nieces & nephew.
4. Pay off house for SIL (and probably MIL & FIL, too).
5. Stash enough to live on, and give the rest away.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On a related note - if you did win the lottery, do you think you would quit being frugal? I have a hard time imagining that I'd suddenly drop $300 on a pair of shoes, or buy a Cadillac just because I had money to burn.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am the same way Curly

I would buy a luxury item or 2---cause I could....LOL......but my everyday shopping wouldn't change much. I could never spend $250 on a purse---or $300 on shoes.....or $6,000 on a diamond tennis braclet.

I just can't..LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I could never see spending $10,000 on a piece of jewellery but quite honestly if I won a huge lottery it would take real self-control to refrain from spending $10,000 on a Lipizzaner horse :p (I have a half-bred who is now retired but hugely fun and challenging)

LOL I think we *all* have a weak spot *somewhere*...

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL I think we *all* have a weak spot *somewhere*...

**OH YES!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I would probably be spending the $300 on DD's outfits vs making them myself (yes some of her outfits are worth that much with all the accessories.) But, would I spend that much on an outfit for myself...probably not.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think my weak spot would be doing a little traveling. I've not been too many places and could never afford a vacation, so I would probably see America, Australia, New Zealand, Scottland and some tropical islands as my splurge! :)

I'd try to get my Mom to go to the ocean with me...she's never seen one before except in pictures. Heck, I was in my mid-thirties before I ever saw the ocean! :p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I agree Bee! After watching National Geographic and the Travel Channel and planet earth series I want to take my kids to the corners of the earth and back. That's my kind of homeschooling!!!

I would buy the biggest piece of property I could find and build me a house with a basement and a woodstove! I would have solar panels, tons of animals, and start a community garden program so that other people could learn how to be self-sufficient and feed themselves! Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day...teach him how to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime!

I would make quilts whenever I felt like it and donate them to nursing home patients and project linus and not feel guilty about spending the time or money.

I would buy my husband a new truck with all the bells and whistles and let him hunt for a living.

I would help my mom and dad retire.

I would go white water rafting again!!! Chad and I did that on our honeymoon and it was fantastic! We went to Ft. Lewis Lodge and stayed in a one room cabin with a fireplace, bed and 2 rocking chairs for a week...we got married Sept 22, 2001. It was just cold enough to have a fire and go hiking and wonderful rafting weather, in a wetsuit of course! Got up our last day and drove to West Va and went down the Upper Gauley River....I always said that I would go back and do that again someday!