What would you do?

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would start some things up.Never know if you will be staying longer than planned.

I had hoped to move,and here we are 7 years now.Wish I had planted some fruit trees that first year!

A few hens,rabbits,and who knows what else,maybe a top bar beehive? I would do it.Dig up a few plants,take some cuttings,take anything you can when the times comes to leave.Until that time you live like you are staying. That is what I am doing with my home/yard.

My friend swears she will take some of her soil.I know when we sell my mom's home I will be digging up a lot of her plants.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think I may be getting some angora rabbits!! I'm excited!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ninny said:
I think I may be getting some angora rabbits!! I'm excited!
Lucky you! You are right in living for today. tomorrow will come and you don't want to look back and say, I wish I would have done........... You go for it!

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I just emailed the lady that I have to wait on the deposits for my rabbits. I'm hopeing she will still hold them for me. I also just got three guinea fowl. I really like them.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Guineas are hilarious. I read that if you raise the keets with chickens, they'll be more like chickens. So I got 4 keets and 10 chicks at the same time. Now I have 10 chickens that act like guineas. :lol:
Glad to read that you're going after what you really want.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ninny said:
I am debating what to do. I know we will be moving in about five years. I can have a poultry flock some dairy goats and rabbits and a huge garden if I want here. But that means spending the money on them. I would get only things that can come with us when we move but should I? If I don't then I put off the hobby farm dream for at least another 6 or 7 years. And my girls won't grow up with on it. So should I? I really want my hobby farm. But what would I do with my raised beds when we moved? Anyway I could take them with me? :hu
If you can't take your livestock with you, you can sell them. As for the things that you cannot take, it is better to have had those things and experiences at least for a short while. Also, raising your children on a farm, no matter the size, is a priceless thing for many reasons. I say go ahead and do it. :)