What would you do?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
hmmm. :hu

so if you found your market collapsed, I guess you could sell it and downsize back to what you have now?

Hope you get a good outcome.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
do it

$300 is a very small price to pay to start a small biz

under the table cash is a great way to have some money without paying taxes :lol: :lol:--we did it for years with big income until I got worried and started filing 'just in case' ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My "uder the table cash" never ammounts to nothing worthy of filing anyway. Hoping to change that. I still don't have spousal approval yet :/ He's not convinced :barnie

I could do it anyway and show him, but I don't do that...darn respect...wish I'd never been taught it sometimes :rant :lol: besides...I'd hate to see what he'd do with the money without my approval on things :th

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Seems like your husband would need to be "into" the idea of this business for it to work well for you.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
If you've run the numbers and it really will pay it off in such a short time, how can he say no? And half of it would be re-couped in selling the two smaller ones. It's a no-brainer.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
You need a broader market base in my opinion, that is, unless this man is reselling your chickens at some point. If he has already bought 80 or so chickens how many more is he going to eat?

Chickens are kinda seasonal and this is the season. What are you going to do if you can't sell them? Are you raising a breed that most people would want including for eating because you will have roos as well as hens to market? Is he buying them just hatched? Will everyone? How are you equipped for raising them to layer age or butchering age if you get stuck with some? Will you need to grow yourself some more layers and what will that cost?

I am just trying to ask you the questions I'd be asking myself because I'd really have to sale my hubby on an idea like that. I have chickens for my own use, for sharing eggs with the family and sometimes to my utter disgust to help keep the local wildlife fed. Sometimes seems like pretty expensive eggs but personally worth it.

It might work out to a great business for you, I hope it does or you find your niche soon. Your plan for reselling equipment if you need to sounds like a solid fail safe.

I always enjoy your posts and consider you my neighbor. Good luck!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd listen to James! He gets everybody in trouble! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
4morefromless said:
You need a broader market base in my opinion, that is, unless this man is reselling your chickens at some point. If he has already bought 80 or so chickens how many more is he going to eat?

Chickens are kinda seasonal and this is the season. What are you going to do if you can't sell them? Are you raising a breed that most people would want including for eating because you will have roos as well as hens to market? Is he buying them just hatched? Will everyone? How are you equipped for raising them to layer age or butchering age if you get stuck with some? Will you need to grow yourself some more layers and what will that cost?

I am just trying to ask you the questions I'd be asking myself because I'd really have to sale my hubby on an idea like that. I have chickens for my own use, for sharing eggs with the family and sometimes to my utter disgust to help keep the local wildlife fed. Sometimes seems like pretty expensive eggs but personally worth it.

It might work out to a great business for you, I hope it does or you find your niche soon. Your plan for reselling equipment if you need to sounds like a solid fail safe.

I have asked myself all those questions. He does resell some of them. He will buy them for a while. I do know they are seasonal, and am pretty darn sure I can make my money before season end. I know we will have lots of roos if he ends up not taking a final batch at season end, but they will be my next years layers and meat birds. Mine are dual purpose to begin with. I have another family down the road wanting some of this breed as well because they are large and dual purpose. He is taking straight run day olds. I will be supplying him with turkey poults as well, which can help offset the chicken sales. This other family wants started birds so any he doesn't pick up can be grown out for them and a few others I sell to, and for myself. I am fully equipped to raise 50-100 right here, and currently have a dozen layers, so I have room for plenty more if I need to, and I sell eating eggs already with repeat customers every week. I just don't see where we could lose, but we are really just now getting back on track, and I see what DH is saying...I just don't like it :lol: I'll just work with what I have for now and supply him as much as I can, save some money for a bator to expand later.

I do have another option with no overhead involved, and that is to buy chicks from a guy I know who hatches hundreds, and resell at a profit to this guy. So, not losing anything either way. I'll make less profit this other way, but still profit, and an easy profit at that. No worries with brooding and cleaning a bator or any of that junk ;)

And I think of you as a neighbor as well and enjoy your posts. We might just have to run into each other accidentaly on purpose some day :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
4morefromless said:

I have asked myself all those questions. He does resell some of them. He will buy them for a while. I do know they are seasonal, and am pretty darn sure I can make my money before season end. I know we will have lots of roos if he ends up not taking a final batch at season end, but they will be my next years layers and meat birds. Mine are dual purpose to begin with. I have another family down the road wanting some of this breed as well because they are large and dual purpose. He is taking straight run day olds. I will be supplying him with turkey poults as well, which can help offset the chicken sales. This other family wants started birds so any he doesn't pick up can be grown out for them and a few others I sell to, and for myself. I am fully equipped to raise 50-100 right here, and currently have a dozen layers, so I have room for plenty more if I need to, and I sell eating eggs already with repeat customers every week. I just don't see where we could lose, but we are really just now getting back on track, and I see what DH is saying...I just don't like it :lol: I'll just work with what I have for now and supply him as much as I can, save some money for a bator to expand later.

I do have another option with no overhead involved, and that is to buy chicks from a guy I know who hatches hundreds, and resell at a profit to this guy. So, not losing anything either way. I'll make less profit this other way, but still profit, and an easy profit at that. No worries with brooding and cleaning a bator or any of that junk ;)

And I think of you as a neighbor as well and enjoy your posts. We might just have to run into each other accidentaly on purpose some day :D
:D Since your DH is not wanting to spend the money right now, I would advise the route of less profit, with which you can put aside to add a bigger incubator in a year or two.
Gives you time to get a broader business in place, and does not leave you high and dry unexpectedly.