Whats for dinner?

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just made spaghetti from scratch. Got my pasta machine yesterday and had to try it.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I cooked tonight. A simple meal, but satisfying. My wife approved.

Baked sockeye salmon from the Fraser River. We cut them into steaks last summer and froze a lot. I thawed it, marinated it in a combination of maple syrup, Japanese-style soy sauce, and olive oil.

Also baked French fingerling potatoes (we grow them).

Garden salad - mixed-varieties lettuce, sliced red onion, sliced tomato, grated cucumber.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's an old recipe my mom used to make. We just call it Hamburger Pie. Very basic and wholesome tasting

1 lb ground beef
2 largish potatoes, peeled
1/2 head cabbage
2 medium onions
4 carrots
1 can Campbells tomato soup, or two, if stretching

Make very thin patties out of the ground beef. Slice vegetables thin so you can layer them. Place layers of each veggie and ground beef in a large casserole pan, 9x13. I do two rounds of layers: start with potatoes, cabbage, meat, onions, carrots, Repeat. Salt and pepper a couple of times between the layers. Pour tomato soup over it all, and cover with foil. Bake in 350 oven till done, about 75 minutes. I like it to be "overdone" so the flavors meld. This actually tasts better the next day, and the next.
I generally stretch this out by adding a few more veggies, and make a smaller pan with it too, and use 2 cans of tomato soup. We eat the smaller pan the first night, then the big pan we eat for leftovers.
Also, if I plan ahead, I will shape the patties out the day before and freeze them. They need to be very thin for best results.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My familys favorite:

Enchalada bake.

Take a cake pan and spray with oil
Press into that 2 tubes of creasant rolls
(I go ahead and bake those till they are about cooked)
Cook 2-3 lb hamb. Drain grease
Add 1 can enchalada sauce and 1 can cream of mushroom soup
Put that on top of the creasant rolls
Put on top of that shreaded cheese and crushed doreitos
Bake till cheese is melted.

If you like hot you can add sliced hot peppers. And the HOT enchalada sauce.
There is never any leftovers :(

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
all your dinners sound absolutely delightful......i gotta get cooking
to fill my new freezer...$25...yeah...

Joel....the fraser river runs..in my neck of the woods too...

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cheepo said:
Joel....the fraser river runs..in my neck of the woods too...
Well, not exactly in my neck of the woods. But we like salmon. We're part of a sort of 'food network' - a circle of people who know one another and share surpluses from their gardens and livestock in one way or another. One household provides surplus potatoes, or squash, or carrots, sorrel, basil, berries, etc - while another offers free-range, organically fed chicken, etc. Exchanges may be through trades, gifts, or cash deals, etc. A couple of our households in our network get a phone call when fishermen from out near the coast are bringing salmon out and selling them from the yard of some folks we know about 45 minutes drive from our place. That way, we get fish that have usually been caught (and kept on ice) within a 24-36-hour period.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sounds like an awsome network!!!!

I would like to share a recipie....not necesarily for dinner...but anytime I have made them they have been enjoyed.....
and if you double it is a way to use up a few eggs..

CURRIED SEAFOOD PUFFS

SHELLS
1/2 C butter
1C boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
1 c flour
4 eggs

FILLING
1 can crab or shrimp( I usually use imatation crab, but have made with canned turkey and was equally as good.)
1/3 c mayonnaise
1-2 tsp curry powder
2 tbs chopped green onions

Preheat oven to 400

shells....Heat butter in a pot with boiling water...until butter is melted...turn heat to low
add flour and salt.....stirring vigorously until mixture forms a smooth ball
remove from heat and beat in eggs ONE at a time...
drop by teaspons on greased pan
bake 20-30 min

cool split and fill...

enjoy...usually quite a few are gone even before filling...best to double to batch...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Drool....... :drool

We will be having fresh sugar snap peas with potatoes cooked over them, roasted (homegrown) chicken with stuffing, and a peach cobbler. :drool

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm making dill/garlic goat cheese today. Will pick some lettuce from the garden. Have some tomatoes and cucumbers and onion (from store ... grrrr) that I'll slice, and some leftover sliced turkey. All will go into pita bread with the tzatki-type-cheese for a middle-eastern-type meal. Cold watermelon (also from store ... come on, August!) for dessert.

For tomorrow, creamed-boiled eggs (IF we have any leftover from selling).

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds yummy MyKidLuvsGreenEgz,
Tonight is scavenger night for us. that means clean out the fridge night.