Whats for dinner?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Homemade beef stew and cheesy garlic biscuits are whats for dinner tonight. :drool

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hamburgers, bbq'd in between the raindrops :)

Home made hamburger patties with breadcrumbs, onions and lots of garlic, salt & pepper; cheese; tomatoes and cukes, home made relish & ketchup, and home made buns :drool

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Beans and rice :p Beans with hamhock, and rice with chicken stock, spices, and cheese. Leftovers from earlier this week.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight we had:

fried okra,

fried sweet potatoes, (melt butter in cast iron skillet, slice sweet potato into 1/4" rounds, cover the skillet on med-low heat until sweets are soft, then take cover off and turn up heat to lightly brown-sprinkle with a little sugar. Super yummy and SOOOO easy!

stir fried fresh green beans in bacon grease, crumbled up bacon added back in to beans

potato soup, small bowl

salad made of cut up tomato, sliced bananna pepper, chopped sweet onion, and avacado. Then splashed with baslamic vinegar.

Strysa

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We had one of our all time favorite comfort foods. Cornish Pasties. I like the traditional style but really anything goes, I have had them with rabbit as well and that is super tasty too! I added the dough recipe, but really any pie crust recipe will work and if you want to make things easy you can substitute it with a store bought western family pie crust. Not as good but will work in a pinch.

Filling:
1 pound round or flank steak (or pork)
3 medium potatoes, peeled
1 small onion, peeled
1 turnip, peeled
salt and pepper to taste
1 beef bouillon cube
garlic powder

Trim steak of all fat and cut into bite sized cubes. Dice all vegetables into uniform cubes.
Use about 2 cups meat and 2 cups potato to 1 cup each of onion and turnip
Mix steak, vegetables and seasonings well

Dough:
3 cups flour
1 cup Crisco
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup ice water
additional butter

Combine flour, Crisco, butter, salt and ice water, working together.
Roll out dough for 6 5-6 inch pasties.
Dot mixture with butter and sprinkle with a small amount of ice water.
Sprinkle mixture with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Place 1/4 cup filling onto one side of rolled out dough. Fold dough over filling and press edges together, crimping well. You can paint edges with a few drops of water prior to sealing to help make a better seal.

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until golden brown

If browning too rapidly, reduce temperature to 350 and cover lightly with foil.

We eat them hot or cold. They make for a hearty sack lunch if you are going to be working hard all day.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tonight is rotisserie chicken, salad and roasted sweet potatoes.
The chicken is one of our home raised broilers.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tonight is home made beef samosas with rice, curried cauliflower, and coleslaw. :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Samosas are sorta like a fried dumplings or tiny pie, they can have meat or vegetable fillings and usually are flavoured with what I think of as East Indian spices. A couple of friends of mine, one who is originally from Kenya, and another who is originally from India, both make wonderful samosas with slightly different tastes--mine are just a sad white girl's attempt but my family seems to like them.

I saut chopped onion celery, then add and brown 1 lb ground meat (beef, bison, chicken, turkey) in the pan along with grated carrot, cooked lentils, cubed cooked potato--whatever you like. Season with a teaspoon of each: ginger, cumin, coriander, and garam masala (an East Indian spice mix). Put a heaping tablespoon full of the meat mixture onto a samosa wrapper or spring roll wrapper (freezer section at the grocery store) and fold into a triangle (google how to fold samosas, that's how I learned). Fry in small amount of oil, flipping over when first side is lightly golden.

You can read more and see what they look like here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samosa

Latest posts