Butternut squash puree
Limp sweet peppers
1/2 pack of sad mushrooms
Seaweed
Leftover pepperoni, chopped
4 sausages, chopped
Canned tomatoes
Garlic, basil

I cooked the ugly ingredients and pureed them to hide them better, then added the rest. Crockpot for >12 hours, yum 👏

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm cleaning out the fridge. Have a ragu sauce going since yesterday

Bone broth w/ celery and onion chunks
Butternut squash puree
Limp sweet peppers
1/2 pack of sad mushrooms
Seaweed
Leftover pepperoni, chopped
4 sausages, chopped
Canned tomatoes
Garlic, basil

I cooked the ugly ingredients and pureed them to hide them better, then added the rest. Crockpot for >12 hours, yum 👏
That sounds amazing! I could make some too--and then can :) I feel like we are in a slump with veggie eating, I think we are thinking protein and carbs bc it is getting so cold....but we gotta up our game :)

Edit--adding a carrot pie to our menu tonight

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
That sounds amazing! I could make some too--and then can :) I feel like we are in a slump with veggie eating, I think we are thinking protein and carbs bc it is getting so cold....but we gotta up our game :)

Edit--adding a carrot pie to our menu tonight
Protein, carbs, veggies... I heard you say pumpkin pie?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If everyone would use the food they have, what a revelation! So much is wasted in this country...it's shameful. A reason why organizations work to glean fields and teach others to use the "ugly" pieces by trimming. It's still good folks!

Our forefathers used, saved and ate out of necessity. I often think of the actions/habits of my own family members from many years back. At the time, some seemed fun, some not needed. I was a child. Now, I realize WHY they saved a bag, made things with aging milk, ugly veggies, stale breads. It was survival. Not so much $$ floating back then. What you had was treasured and truly appreciated. Being old as dirt, having "hillbilly" roots, I sure saw and experienced a great amount of self reliance happening!! Grateful for every minute.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If everyone would use the food they have, what a revelation! So much is wasted in this country...it's shameful. A reason why organizations work to glean fields and teach others to use the "ugly" pieces by trimming. It's still good folks!

Our forefathers used, saved and ate out of necessity. I often think of the actions/habits of my own family members from many years back. At the time, some seemed fun, some not needed. I was a child. Now, I realize WHY they saved a bag, made things with aging milk, ugly veggies, stale breads. It was survival. Not so much $$ floating back then. What you had was treasured and truly appreciated. Being old as dirt, having "hillbilly" roots, I sure saw and experienced a great amount of self reliance happening!! Grateful for every minute.
What she said!