What's for dinner?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been making applesauce this afternoon so I pulled out some pork chops for dinner to have some fresh applesauce with. The rest is to be determined, but with that main dish I don't even care what else we eat with it!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yum! That sounds good! I made an apple-ish dessert last night. Diced some apples and cooked 'em in butter and cinnamon until they were nice and soft...added a touch of cream and some Splenda (I know :() and a little bit of brown sugar. Took apart some flaky canned biscuits (I know :() and spread 'em in a pan and spooned the apple mixture over it... and baked it until the biscuits were done. It wasn't exactly apple crisp or apple pie or apple turnovers - but it was quite edible!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd eat it! :)
I made apple/pear sauce today too. It's that time of the year. My niece just visited, and she brought me fresh apples from Wisconsin.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my favorite discoveries when I went from full on consumer to being slowly more and more self sufficient- not only does food taste better in season, but the excitement of homemade things is so much more when you have to wait for that season. Eating with the seasons was absolutely a new discovery for me, sad as it sounds. And having applesauce in the freezer that I put there, and maple syrup in the pantry that we boiled down from sap we collected... You can't replace that!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are 100% right about that!

I find myself cooking more now that the folks are with me, but I also find that I need ways to expedite meals. Thus, a certain amount of 'convenience' foods that DH and I alone wouldn't use.

I did make banana pancakes one morning and cooked up enough extra for most of this week. I need to find time on weekends to do some extra cooking.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170925_175539.jpg

Beef Rib roast and steamed green beans for dinner

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Too hot to eat.... :eek: I keep thinking of things to cook and then I think, "COOK???" and discard THAT idea. Then I think of another idea and run up against "cook" and "hot food" and again I'm defeated.

Think I'll have a bowl of ice cream. :D

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's why I put the rib roast in the crockpot this morning and used the steamer to do the green beans. I absolutely love having all sorts of kitchen appliances at my disposal- makes making supper (dinner) cooking effortless and doesn't make the house become an oven itself.
Yes, I agree it's to hot and I've heard tomorrow is going to be just as bad. :sick. I thought the first day of Autumn was last Friday so how come we are back to Summer?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep hit 90 here yesterday and today, but will be down to the 60's by Friday. It's almost over! Overnight lows in the 30's this weekend. So ready!