What's for dinner?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Britesea your meals always sound sooo good (and very healthy.) I don't even know what a mung bean is, so off to google I go again...
We had stroganoff and succotash (not usually served together but DS wanted one and GGD wanted another...) Another appointment today so it looks like supper will likely be another Little Caesars hot and ready $5 pizza while we wait out traffic again.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@milkmansdaughter Mung Bean sprouts are those typical bean sprouts you find in most chinese food. I've found if I plan ahead and sprout my own, they will be much fresher and crisper than the ones you can buy.

I try to make my meals as healthy as possible since my health has been compromised by diabetes. Hopefully losing weight will help me get the disease to go into remission (it never truly goes away- just becomes symptom free), especially since Alzheimer's is now being considered a type of diabetes (Diabetes Type 3). Diabetics are twice as likely to succumb to it. Thankfully my ketogenic diet has brought my weight down by 1/3 of my total goal so far, and my blood sugar readings are normal (for non-diabetics!) but only with the use of a dose of Metformin.

I'm thawing a grass-fed chuck roast for dinner tonight. I'm going to try an idea I saw on Facebook- wrap some wood chips in a coffee filter (it looked kind of like a potsticker) and put in the bottom of your crockpot. Add a small amount of water (maybe I'll make it half red wine!) then put in your roast with some onions, celery, and carrots and slowcook for 7 hours. The introduction of flavor from the chips sounds interesting?

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well yesterday it was the leftover pot roast that we had for our special at work and tonight is the rest of it that I bought home because from cooking all day yesterday and today I don't want to cook

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Britesea,
That idea of wrapping wood chips in a coffee filter sounds pretty doggone interesting to me. The only thing I'm curious about is how does the coffee filter stay closed. I really would like to do that idea for dinner tomorrow night seeing how my Uncle decided to take a roast out of the freezer this morning.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight's dinner was mustard greens, fried okra, cornbread made from home grown corn, and chicken breast.

IMG_2068.JPG

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So we had hamburger patties fried then simmered in beef gravy, mashed potatoes, and buttered lima beans.

I found out hubby eats less when I make something from his childhood. Him eating less is always good.

Knowing what goes into my gravy and how few calories it actually has, I just don't know why gravy was looked at as evil for the last few decades. A slice of bread has more calories than what the two of us together eat in the above meal.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Country homesteader @sumi and @frustratedearthmother I tried out the wood chips idea. I wrote down what to use wrongly: they wrapped the wood chips in Parchment Paper, not a coffee filter (that was something else and my brain crossed wires). The package of chips was big enough to cover the bottom of the crockpot, and the seam was underneath, so the weight of the chips was enough to keep it from coming apart, and a few slits were cut into the top to allow the smoke/steam to come out. I didn't use enough chips because we ran out, but the small amount of flavor we got was very good. I'm going to be doing it again.