What's for dinner?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we have some leftover roast chuck. Formerly I would have done a nice hash with potatoes and onions, or some hot roast beef sandwiches with gravy, but .... So instead I think I'll do a kind of hash with the beef and some cubed patty pans and onions, with some creamed greens on the side. I found a quick dessert recipe for chocolate pots de creme too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love carbs. I have a carb problem... But @Britesea you are an inspiration, making meals that sound delicious and skip out on all that... Junk that I probably don't need to eat so much of!

So, with that, we are having homemade macaroni and cheese for dinner... Lol

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes about 15 years ago. I run about 4.2 when not taking anything. Metformin puts me at 3.5

Potatoes are the only starch that doesn't really do much to me. Waxy ones are better than starch. I always use butter on the potatoes as fat helps slow carb absorption. Same deal for my diabetic parents. It might be a genetic thing.

I've learned over the years which starches are bad for me in order of worst to best. Rice, corn, oats, wheat, barley, potatoes.

Barley is usually the grain go to here since it's fairly safe for me. I use barley for meatloaf and stuffing.

Too much starches cause me rashes. So most meals here are just veggies and some meat. I put butter on all the veggies. We found that using more animal fat lowered our cholesterol profiles by a ton and raised the HDL. I only use olive oil for liquid fat.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader You might want to look at the Impastable brand of low carb pasta. I've found it fairly tasty, with only 8grams of net carbs per generous serving. I just bought a case of it so I could get it with free shipping.
I've always been a carb-junkie also, but I found the trick to staying on this diet was to search for acceptable substitutes for my comfort foods (hence a case of elbow macaroni for mac and cheese). I still try to keep something like that down to a once-in-a-while meal though; I want to stay in the habit of not eating high carb meals very often. Once I get to my goal weight, I will be a little less obsessive about this, but I don't want to gradually pack it all on again!

@Hinotori I agree with you that the animal fat really helped with the cholesterol. I try for grass-fed beef when I can afford it, I eat my chicken with the skin on (and we fight over the chicken wings, lol) and now I've found out that pork fat is about 50% monounsaturated fat (same stuff as in olive oil); Hooray for bacon fat! Coconut oil is a medium-chain triglyceride (not to be confused with bad-for-you long-chain triglycerides) which the body burns immediately rather than storing it as body fat, which is why it's so popular in ketogenic recipes. I buy the expensive olive oil and use it only to make salad dressings and such, where the taste will be dominant. I will not touch soy or corn oils since they are almost exclusively GMO, and as far as I'm concerned, canola oil is pure poison.

Have you tried rye? It seems to be fairly low on the glycemic list.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most of the beef and pork in my house comes from grass fed steers and pigs which we raise right here on the property. The chickens are free range during the day (at night they get locked into their house for protection against predators) so the eggs have a brighter yolk.
I just wish I had a milk cow or two so I could make homemade butter.
The meals that I cook are mostly some sort of meat and veggie unless my Uncle is in the mood for a starch.
I'm really trying to follow my doctor- she told me to stay away from starch, carbs and sugar ( I do watch my sugar intake most days but I got to have sugar in my coffee in the morning and the worst days when I want more sugar is when my "female issue" gets close.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The carb withdrawals suck when you get them. I always get cravings for toast.

@Britesea

Rye and triticale do the same as wheat for me. I just have to limit it. It doesn't put my bloodsugar 240+ and me asleep like rice and corn.

I use bacon grease a lot. Good quality olive oil. I spring for the Kerrygold butter. Our beef is usually the grass fed. It's only $.10 a pound difference when we buy half a beef.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170928_191448.jpg

Beef roast, asparagus spears with a garlic butter sauce and homemade applesauce.
The roast was so tender it shredded apart.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the discussion on oils, fats, and diabetes! I do not have diabetes, but do try to limit starches and sugars anyway. And @Britesea I hadn't heard about Alzheimer's being called diabetes 3 but I don't doubt it! I have found distinct links in improved health and memory in seniors when they are eating healthy, decrease sugar, and increase exercise.

For supper tonight, we had Chicken Enchilada soup. Everyone enjoyed it, my husband all the way down to the 4 year old. (Was NOT low carb though...)

Latest posts