What's for dinner?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You all brought back a memory now. Some years ago I was flat sharing with another young woman and her DD. We were poor and grateful for anything food-wise that came our way, so we were delighted when she was gifted some beef. We cooked it and sat down for dinner and tried to eat it… After chewing for about 2 minutes and getting absolutely nowhere we gave up. It was like eating leather, that meat was SO tough. Turned out the cow in question's butchering was an unplanned event… She got hit by a train! Step up from road kill? :confused:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is a possibility that you goat meat is tough because of her injury. I've heard that an adrenaline release can cause tough meat. Since she was injured that could be the cause. I found this:

Absolutely this added to it. I agree. She was calm appearing but, still...broke leg 14 hrs before! Shame. Hadn't given that a thought. Thanks, FEM. Otherwise I may never harvest another. Halal butcher is a calming effort.

Plus, since she had taken her fine self back into the herd, we had to walk her out. No doubt a stress. :( Even when handling leg, she didn't show what you would expect for resistance. Weird. I suppose nerve damage there did lower sensation.

Yeah, Sumi, just a step up....but, when things happen & animal healthy, you use the event as best you can. I will grind most as I use. A lot can be done with that.

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok it isnt dinner but........looks good lol
Banana Crumble Bread
20181012_103702.jpg

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Roadkill can be good sometimes, lol! I've had darn good roadkill moose!
Oh man i just saw this! We were camping up in Colorado and hit a rabbit on the way (long way, in the middle of no where) back to camp, some how, amazingly we ran ONLY its head over. Husband backs up and picks it up and had some of the best rabbit over camp fire ever!! His sister was VARY hesitant to eat it, tried just a little bit and they liked it. Soooooo yummy!

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
20181015_135828.jpg

*Doesnt look as good as it smells!!! *
We don't usually buy pork(we like to shoot our own!) But at .99lb we did! We were able to cut this sholder into 4's!!

This is Mojo type chicken!

Latest posts