What's for dinner?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ooh that sounds amazing sumi!!

FEM your recipe sounds awesome too! Is shrimp a shellfish? Hmm I might be able to cook shrimp.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geeze, I had to look it up - couldn't remember if it's a crustacean or a shellfish. So:

There are two groups of shellfish: crustacea (such as shrimp, crab and lobster) and mollusks (such as clams, mussels, oysters and scallops). Crustacea cause most shellfish reactions, and these tend to be severe.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well that's lame. DD1 broke out in hives after eating lobster so I guess we're a no shrimp family too :(

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My sister gots hives from eating too much Crab - but she can eat shrimp just fine. :hu
Her doctor told her to be careful about eating too much shellfish now, she had just spent the entire weekend eating soft-shell crab and whatever other types of crab their friend brought with when he visited. He owns a crab boat...
3 days of endless crab and she got over loaded with Iodine and resulted in hives - no more crabmeat for her.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my DH.... we ate seafood for three days straight and his face turned bright red. We thought he was allergic to shellfish and avoided it for months until he got tested. He wasn't allergic to shellfish - but he is allergic to iodine. He can't even have iodine in medical tests...like x-rays with contrast - because the contrast agent is usually iodine... Now we know!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Supper tonight was pork chops that were so big that they covered the plate, cream corn and purple hull peas.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Deer loin chops in the Crock-Pot :)

My wife makes pork chops this way. They are fork tender and delicious. I decided to try some deer chops, using the same method.

Separate the chops (miter saw works well for cutting through the bone) and trim off any silver skin. Rinse, then sprinkle with salt and pepper, then brown both the outsides in a pan with a little olive oil over high heat. Add 4 cups of water to the Crock-Pot and one package of Lipton soup mix, lay the browned chop in the Crock-pot, cover and set on high. They will be done come dinner time, serve over rice with veggie and cornbread.

Easy... Got 8 chops in the Crock-pot.
IMG_20181103_135500851.jpg

IMG_20181103_135741093.jpg

IMG_20181103_140134536.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I walked out in the back of the house wendsday evening just about dust and there was a doe frozen soild in my garden corn patch looking at me. I quickly drew my .357 pistol, aimed and shot her in the head. She dropped instantly. I gutted her right in the garden and drug her back up to the wood shop with some rope. I strung her up from the rafters, took her coat off, split her in 1/2 down the spine with my sawsall and left her hang until this morning. She wasn't small or huge either but the meat I've cut is good and dark red and tender.

I aint no butcher but here's some ribeye steaks from one side.
IMG_20181103_170257018.jpg

I guess I got a garden that jus keeps on producing :)

Last edited: