What's for dinner?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, you going to come cook some venison for me? Because that sounds amazing!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, you going to come cook some venison for me? Because that sounds amazing!!

I wished I had a freezer shelf full of this cut of venison. I cut the halfed back bone with my hand saw to make the steaks and they are extremely tender. It's just where the ribs stop and before the hind quarter. I left both the backstrap and loin on. On a cow butcher chart, it's called the short loin section.
51uNYEpakJL.jpg

I really think seasioning both sides with Lawry's Seasoned Salt before freezing, had a lot to do with the delicious non gamey flavor. I'm no butcher or cook, but every once in a while with dumb luck - I hit a home run.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
sounds like you did ok on that one, cook or no cook!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cooked a lot today. I'm on a chicken kick. Made chicken salad for lunch... Chicken fettucini-ish over riced cauliflower for dinner and made a pot of chicken taco-ish soup for the next couple days. I like "ish" dishes, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like "ish" dishes. Just uses up "ends" of what is on hand. :D

My goat meat cooking today will be using up some leftovers and a trial for my "learning" to use this meat. Like it so far but, it does take some trial and error to use. Instant Pot for this today & a bottle of Merlot.

It's a meat I can use, raise fairly easily, quantities good for small family, etc. The taste has been good so far. Wanting to get a few dish options behind me to decide on another for my own use. So far, so good.

Stay tuned...……:caf

I'm thinking chicken or turkey next week. I still have a turkey breast I didn't cook @ Thanksgiving. Will be nice sandwiches.

I also grabbed a recipe for Simple Skillet Bread today. Want to try that. It's a flatbread type thing which I like generally. Whole wheat & soy flours. Only 2.5 cups total which means a small batch. Great for me. I need to "find" my bread maker soon. I prefer small loaves, fresh when I want them.

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would love to try goat some day. DH isn't so sure about it.
He also says absolutely NO GOATS. I have a maybe on sheep...

I had a professor in college who raised a goat every summer. Tied it to a dog house and the neighbor hood kids would come over and play with it all the time. Then he would have it butchered and smoke it for the neighborhood block party. Those city kids sure got a country education from him, lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would love to try goat some day. DH isn't so sure about it.
He also says absolutely NO GOATS. I have a maybe on sheep...

I had a professor in college who raised a goat every summer. Tied it to a dog house and the neighbor hood kids would come over and play with it all the time. Then he would have it butchered and smoke it for the neighborhood block party. Those city kids sure got a country education from him, lol

When I was dating my wife 35,000 years ago. I worked at this placed called furniture arts studio in Elgin, IL. A few times a week we would go to a Mexican dive for lunch. They had only one thing on the menu, a burrito and a large Coke Cola for $2.00 The burrito was absolutely huge. When I say huge, I mean huge! No way any human being could finish it in one setting. So it became lunch the second day also.

The burrito came with goat or beef or chicken or a combination of the meat. The guy on the grill had three huge piles of meat that he was constantly cooking. The goat and beef we're off the chain delicious. I would sometimes order 1/2 goat and beef. Eat the goat size one day and the beef size the next day. But more often than not, I would order all goat meat. I've loved goat meat every since then.

Last edited: