1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. You cannot ask for more from this property? - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What's for dinner?

Discussion in 'The Homestead Kitchen - Recipes Etc' started by Hinotori, Aug 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jan 21, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Almost Self-Reliant

I thought so. I have a 3.5 qt that I used to use all the time. Have not used my pressure canner to cook meals with b/c it's so "cumbersome".

2. Jan 21, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Here's a review --->

It's the only one I've ever used so I can't compare, but I really like it. My wife has two separators so you can, can 24 Half-Pints, 20 Pints or 7 Quarts at once.

We have a goose neck kitchen faucet so it's not hard to clean at all. But my wife does ask me to clean it and get it up & down off the top shelf because it is "cumbersome" for her also.

3. Jan 21, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

My first pressure canner was a Mirro. I absolutely hated that thing. It was very hard to regulate the pressure on, and compared to the Presto, the construction was extremely poor quality.

4. Jan 21, 2019
    CrealCritter

My wife has had this presto one for a good 5 years and it's seen a lot of use. It doesnt even get put up during veggie harvest seasons. We've had zero problems with it so far. We just finished out last pint of spaghetti sauce
    last night. So next week it will be used again to can 20 Pints of of her awesome spaghetti sauce.

5. Jan 21, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Kitchen gets crowded at harvest with pressure and HWB canners, and jars and produce. Hubby says I need a separate kitchen for that stuff, and I agree with him. Not gonna happen in this life time though.

6. Jan 21, 2019
    CrealCritter

I know exactly what you mean. I've been wanting a butchering/processing/hanging building and smoke shack for long time now. Processing and hanging meat in the wood shop is not the ideal place for sure and I can't do any smoke curing but small cuts of meat on the BBQ grill.

I already know we are moving deeper into the woods, it's just a matter of time and waiting for the right property to come up for sale. I told my wife I want this move to be the last time and then I'll build what we have been wanting, she agrees.

baymule likes this.
  7. Jan 22, 2019
    CrealCritter

Ruben's, home cut fried & bread and butter pickles. Need to eat up some of the garden potatoes.

IMG_20190121_190220.jpg

A quart from last nite pressure canner chicken. I trade my daughter a pint of smaltz for a dozen for her delicious homemade cookies :)
    IMG_20190121_190452.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  8. Jan 22, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

9. Jan 22, 2019
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

Sorry, I missed this! I actually don't know... Since I don't eat chicken, or shop bought eggs, I don't look too closely at chicken farming here. I can't imagine the Irish being as tolerant and forgiving as the crowd in S.A. though :\

NH Homesteader likes this.
  10. Jan 22, 2019
    CrealCritter

My turn to cook - Beef Barley soup

Recipe
    IMG_20190122_165442434_HDR.jpg

Ingredients
    IMG_20190122_171946143.jpg

Cooking
    IMG_20190122_174739091.jpg

Daughter in law came in to pick up our granddaughters and said what smells so good? Oh Paw Paw Crocker cooking soup again - I get dibs on leftovers. I may have to fire up the pressure canner and can leftovers - we'll see... It's just my wife and I and it's quite a bit of soup.

Edit...
    Turned out really good. The barley soked up more liquid than I thought. So after my wife and I had a big bowl, I poured another quart of her beef stock in the pot. Boiled it about 5 more minutes and got 7 pints for the pressure canner . Wife said it's to good not to can. It was easy to make also.

IMG_20190122_192927502.jpg
    Whoever invented the home pressure canner should be awarded the metal of honor - it's like the most awesome invention ever! Now that my wife taught me how to use it and I've used it many times, I feel a lot more comfortable with it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    sumi likes this.