What's for dinner?

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh man does that look good. I made a pot of red beans and rice with sausage today. sorry no pic yet but it's tasty.
Fried freshwater fish, Steamed eggplants, Shrimp paste, sliced tomatoes and onion, and a big glass full of Soursop juice. Yummy!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH's birthday yesterday; we had marinated steak with a big salad. And my friend made a wonderful 3 ingredient chocolate cake with NO flour.

DARK MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE
16 ounces good quality semisweet chocolate (found some sweetened with monkfruit)
10 tbsp unsalted butter
5 extra large eggs

preheat oven to 375F
cut chocolate and butter into small chunks and melt over simmering water in a double boiler. Stir frequently until melted and then remove from heat
Whisk eggs and a pinch of salt until mixture triples in volume (about 8 minutes). Fold chocolate mixture into egg mixture with a rubber spatula until completely incorporated.
Line the bottom of an 9inch springform pan with parchment paper. Coat the inside of the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Pour the mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. The center will still be a little soft. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting. The center will sink a little as it cools. You can refrigerate the cake for up to 2 days, but let it sit at room temp for an hour before serving.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I noticed we don't have a thread to show some of the neat things we make for meals. So post them on up here.

Here's todays for me. One of the local restaurant supply had packs of beef tri-tip on sale. There were 4 of them in the pack. Nice sized fat cap, which is usually removed amywhere else if you can find them.

Fat cap is a must for what I wanted to do. Put on a nice dry rub and smoked them all up today.

I pulled 3 of them off a hour before done. It's at 350° anyway and they can do that cooking in the oven later. I'll vacuum seal and freeze them.

The last one is just about done. Super tender and the smell is killing me.

View attachment 4498
We made hamburgers, french fries, and milkshakes, the regulars in a burger stand. We kinda miss them coz the nearest burger joint doesn't serve as better than what we cook.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Little Red Irish Brewer's Sausage, Mushrooms & Onion Deep Dish Pizza & A Mug of Copper Altbier Homebrew. Boy that was mouthful literally!

I mixed Into the dough, a cup of wet crushed spent malted grains (Maris Otter, Carmel 10 & 40 and Barley) from the Little Red Irish Ale I brewed last weekend.

The crust is absolutely delicious and unique, textured a bit like a firm whole grain bread. I could actually taste the individual brewing gains in the crust. I never had a pizza like this before. I doubt, I ever will again unless i make it myself.
IMG_20200228_201543642.jpg

Here's 1 of 3 bags I froze of the spent malted grains from Little Red Irish Ale. I have plans to make brewer's bread and pretzels with some of them also.
IMG_20200228_205533361_TOP.jpg

Last edited:

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I noticed we don't have a thread to show some of the neat things we make for meals. So post them on up here.

Here's todays for me. One of the local restaurant supply had packs of beef tri-tip on sale. There were 4 of them in the pack. Nice sized fat cap, which is usually removed amywhere else if you can find them.

Fat cap is a must for what I wanted to do. Put on a nice dry rub and smoked them all up today.

I pulled 3 of them off a hour before done. It's at 350° anyway and they can do that cooking in the oven later. I'll vacuum seal and freeze them.

View attachment 4498
We prepared chicken soup, with steamed rice, Lemon and cucumber-infused water, tomato lettuce and cheese salad, with lite apple vinegarette.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday, I made a chicken stew using some home canned veggies plus some from the freezer, home processed EE cockerel, rice pilaf, and a lot of other goodies. That stew was the best I've tasted in a very long time. Makes me want to fill a grow out pen full of cockerels.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

View attachment 4498
I made a tamarind base soup pork, with lots of vegetables, steamed rice, fish sauce with chilis as a dipping sauce. and a tall glass of ice-cold coca-cola.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made barbacoa last night, with low carb corn tortillas (made with corn and nopal flours) sour cream and avocados on top. Tonight we will have leftovers of that and the swiss steak that's in the fridge; probably with a salad of lettuce, marinated artichokes and canned hearts of palm.

I've been trying Intermittent Fasting (18 hour fast followed by 2 meals eaten in a 6 hour window). It seems to be melting the fat off faster, even though I'm eating fairly large meals.

I tried some Keto bread (Franz brand) I found at the store. It tasted pretty decent for a soft white bread (not my favorite), but the next morning my blood sugar was the highest it's been in a year- 128. I know a lot of people will say that's still good for a diabetic, but when you've gotten accustomed to seeing your sugar levels at 100, it was a shock. We still have half a loaf left, but I'll let my DH and DS eat it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last night was Jalapeno sausage made from a Red Stag shot in Oklahoma by a friend and smoked at a local processor....YUM!!

Tonight will be eggplant pizza(ish).

Latest posts