What's for dinner?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we've been having a mix of things here lately, some vegetable soup, some beef stroganoff, some beans, veggies, fruits, etc.

we are finally getting some of our pod people to come over for dinner this weekend after trying to see them for quite a long time (even before the pandemic), Mom is making another round of stroganoff (extra mushrooms and plenty of sour cream), along with the egg noodles this time. the last time she made it a few weeks ago i just saved the meat and sauce in some jars and ate that for a few days mixing it with beans a little to cut how rich it was and to provide more filler and fiber. all so good for winter food. the noodles i don't need for extra calories so i would skip them, but i won't this coming weekend with company.

it is always a struggle for me to not eat too much in the winter months and Mom decided last week she was going to bake cookies and make a lot of other goodies to ship to family and friends. kinda like a Valentine's Day gift, but just because she likes keeping busy and cooking and because people enjoy them. 900+ cookies later, plus 29 bags of caramel corn and 9 batches of cracker toffee crunch stuff, well all those went out last week so i managed to avoid eating most of them or even eating too much of the crack (it's like toffee but much easier to make and more deadly because of that). what we did end up with for extra was some chocolate that seized up with walnuts in it that i've been using up in my morning oatmeal and some other chocolate that was extra which i made into candies with tart cherries and walnuts in them so i could also use those in my morning oatmeal.

yesterday i fried up a few burgers and we had those with some frozen onion rings that we baked to try them out. they were ok, but we both agreed we'd try some others to see how they tasted instead next time. the burgers were plain without buns or condiments as we both like them with just a bit of garlic salt on them. not having all the cheese, mayo or ketchup or the bun saves me about 800 calories alone as i really like things piled on and layered deep.

lucky we've had a lot of snow and i've been getting plenty of exercise. i think i may have even lost a bit of weight. smells good in here now though with beef, onions and mushrooms cooking - it is a good thing i can't gain weight from smells alone. :)

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tuna bake tonight. Made a real mess of the kitchen with this one! Usually I use one saucepan and then put the lot in the oven, this time, I have just been given a bunch of kitchen stuff, so i used two saucepans and an oven dish and now the place is a mess! Ha. Also made brownies earlier that would have definitely contributed to the mess. Oh timer just went off!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Smoked tri-tip with pasta and veggies.

Sliced up one just for lunches for hubby as well. The others will get frozen for now.

Cheapest to get them in the vacuum pack of five at the restaurant supply. Nice fat layer makes smoking work better than the ones trimmed close at the grocery store.

Im lazy now with smoking. I have probes with a remote so I can mostly do other things while waiting on the temp alarm.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pea and ham soup with white dinner rolls. Not a traditional type, no ham bone, just a bit of smoked ham I picked up on special and a whole bunch of veggies to add bulk. Ran some over to the neighbour and came home with a side salad from his garden.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tonight, 👩‍🌾big garden salad, [ parsley, arugula, beet greens, fennel green, romaine, kale, onion, tomato]
And DH picked up fresh corn on the cob, so we'll cook that,
and????????????????????? 🤔 I think salmon, yep salmon ☺️