What's for Dinner?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Dragonlaurel -- you can also use winter squash in that soup, if you wanted.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Wow- 2 good recipes to try. I am going to get a bigger pumpkin than I expected. I want seeds too so a fresh pumpkin is the way to go. Thank you ! :drool
dragonlaurel--I'm sure you already know this, but be sure to get a good *eating* pumpkin, not the ones usually sold for Jack-O-Lanterns.

I've been growing enormous Amish Pie Squash and other huge varieties, about 30+ lb each since we go through so much pumpkin! Nuts--I need more mealtimes to start making pumpkin things, too!

Drakemaiden--I barged in with my own recipe, so thanks for yours!

For supper tonight: I think we will go with BLTs, but I have a *pending* menu that is growing every time I open this thread, dognabbit!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Are the smaller pumpkins at the stores the eating ones? The store had some medium size cream colored pumpkins too. I cant grow them in the apartment :( , so I'm stuck buying them, this year.

I love butternut squash too. I also cook acorn squash with stuffing for thanksgiving. Vegetarians gotta have some stuffing in something. Yummm. I used "Pepperidge Farm herb seasoned" but will be doing it from scratch since we make our own bread now. I like to eat less processed anyway. That Amish pie squash sounds good but there's just the two of us.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
dragon--I just don't know. The cream-colored one sounds more promising. Maybe at the store they would know the variety? I used to try cooking with lantern pumpkins and really did not like pumpkin, until I found out those varieties have been bred for huge cavities and seeds, not taste.

If you don't think you can find a small "pie pumpkin," I would agree with what someone mentioned earlier: Using squash. Pumpkins and squash are all in the same family anyway. Butternuts are great for soups, baking, everything.

Oh, do I go on and on about pumpkins...

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
The smaller ones they had were 6-8 inches tall. They may have been pie pumpkins. I want a cooking pumpkin or squash but enjoy the seeds too. I think squash seeds are eaten the same way. I do.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Dragonlaurel -- if the pumpkin was in with the squash in the produce section, then it probably is meant to eat. If it was sitting outside or next to a candy display . . . . Well, you could probably still eat it, but you would want to add some sugar maybe.

Me&thegals -- The more pumpkin recipes the merrier! :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, I think.
Took some of my potato-garlic-carrot soup out of the freezer and made Sausage Cheese muffins to go with it instead. :D

ETA: recipe

Sausage Cheddar Cheese Muffins
2 c flour
2 T sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 c milk
1/4 c melted butter
1/2 lb bulk pork, cooked
1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Combine dry ingredients; combine egg, milk, butter. stir into the dry ingredients. Fold in sausage and shredded cheese Fill greased muffin pans

Bake 375 for 18-22 minutes (it usually takes over 22 minutes) Cool 5 minutes. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers These freeze well, and just reheat in the oven or microwave.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
It was in the produce section. They had the big box of normal jack o lantern type. Some whitish pumpkins on the side and the small orange ones on the shelf by the others. They just wrote prices but not labels. I think I'll just go to the farmers market instead of guessing.
Feel free to keep posting pumpkin and squash recipes. I'm good at eating them.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're having chicken and dumplings or homemade chicken soup that I have been canning. Heck, maybe both. lol...:D

Kim

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . doesn't sound promising, Dragonlaurel! I bet you will have better luck at the farmer's market.