What's in your organic grain?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I received this story in an email from the APPPA (American Pastured Poultry Producer's Association... That's a mouthful)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...7c8a68c1a66_story.html?utm_term=.782ec6a3cc94

I can't afford to buy organic for all of my animals but I am working towards being able to do that. But I am also looking to find more local resources and better sources for organic feed. This reminds me why!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right?? I feel comfortable buying from Green Mountain Organics based out of VT because they test everything they source. LOVE that about them. But as far as the national brands (I've noticed a lot more organic feeds on the shelves at TSC)... I guess I have little faith in them! And now I have less!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a darn shame that you go to all the trouble and work and expense to raise your animals in a healthy manner and then you get screwed like that. GRRRRR!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yup especially if the grain you feed them isn't completely 100% organic means the animals aren't 100% either so they're no longer labeled as " Organic" which is a real stinker if your farm is listed as being and producing organic foods.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The same goes for the food we consume. Last fall, we dry canned 50 lbs each of rice, black beans and lentils. I made sure I contacted the companies I bought them from before I bought them and asked where they were grown. I didn't care that they said Organic, I only bought from those companies that could verify that they were grown in the US. These products are also imported into the US and sold as Organic. Some may be truly Organic, but I wasn't taking the chance.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Everyone needs to take control over their food and not stick their heads in the sand.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree! if your food makes you sick, you can blame it on big business; you can blame it on big agriculture; you can blame it on anyone you want to...but, in reality, you must blame it on yourself if you are not up to date with what's going on with our food supply today.

Latest posts