what's next?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am checking on neighbors and friends. making sure they are stocked up. I offered to teach one neighbor with 4 boys, how to make bread. She called from the grocery store to ask what kind of yeast and had 3 bags of flour. I also told her how to make beer biscuits, she bought Bisquick and beer. LOL

I am ready for however long it lasts. I've preached to friends and family to keep a stocked pantry, you never know when you might need it. Not because of a possible pandemic, but anything that interrupts life, even losing a job.

I see us that are prepared, helping our community, friends, family and neighbors. People have to help themselves, this might be a good lesson.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just figured out what I did... I mentioned that bad 5 letter word (TRUMP). I think it's time for me to go make trouble somewhere else.

Bye folks, it's been fun while it lasted.

i'm sorry to see anyone leave, but i'm also sorry when i read partisan comments which are very mean spirited and not at all really on topic to the broader forum. as a result a few times i have had to walk away for a while myself from SS because of what i may have said in return.

i really like the general concept of being self-sustainable, i really like a lot of the topics here and i enjoy those, but once in a while the comments are just not very kind or considerate and i wish i'd have never read them.

there are plenty of other forums for politics and current events. i don't come to SS to read about those. it seems though that is primarily what you write about and care about. i have a very strained relationship with my own father because that is the sort of thing which he spends a lot of time watching on t.v. i can't stand any of it, the racism, hatred, bigotry and ignorance is just too much for me. if you don't understand that most of the people here are not here for current events and politics nor debates about the constitution of a single country perhaps you'd get it. this is a world-wide forum and the local partisan stuff is just not realy on topic as far as i'm concerned.

i certainly enjoy topics like home-brewing, wood working, gardening and taking care of what is going on around the place - but if i have to wade through sniping about politics and current events (especially when fueled by really partisan mass media) then you lose me as your audience.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
all those folks I been telling for years that hard times are coming stopped laughing. and I'm honestly ok with it. when **** is at its worst im at my best.

Me too! Maybe I am naive but its more exciting than scary for me right now. I have managed to live on very little my entire adult life, I am not worried like others with more to lose are.

Cos I am down under, it'll be a different situation for me.

I could be receiving a "stimulus package" which is a $750 cash payment intended to be spent quickly to keep the economy afloat. I am just trying to figure out whats best to spend it on... which is pretty fun. I would REALLY like to get my aquaponics set up but I do not trust the ability of my brain to make good decision on that. There are a fair few other things that I need and the aquaponics is less of a need more of a want, BUT if I get it set up and working then grow more greens at home, I will be saving money on shopping travel in the long run and be better prepared for the next panic. In saying that, I also need some wood for winter and a deep freezer, so it is a hard choice as to what is the priority.

I am not particularly politically minded, more the type to trust in God. I am just here for the ride :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just figured out what I did... I mentioned that bad 5 letter word (TRUMP). I think it's time for me to go make trouble somewhere else.

I think maybe that's the issue....

I also have enjoyed many of your topics. @flowerbug said it best - folks don't come to this site to have one-sided politics thrown at them. Most have respected the forum rules and requests from the moderators to leave those topics alone. I hope you find a great forum where it's within the rules for you to post your ideas on politics and if you want to talk SS - please come back.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

that's kinda crappy. look, I'm not a trump hater, for the most part, but this just isn't the place for that kind of thing. we lost enough members over politics. there's a gaping whole in their absence. just check it at the door and have fun chatting about SS.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Let's not argue amongst ourselves. We all want to improve our lives, we just take different journeys on how to get there.