what's next?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's next? I like Lindsey Graham's approach.

Starvation, Bombing and Killing the Chinese COVID-19 virus, as quickly as possible.

Starvation means socal distancing, wash your hands, clean and disinfect often used surfaces, don't touch your face, eyes, nose, mouth. cough in your elbow, don't shake hands, etc... You have heard it all a million times already...

Bomb the hell out of it. The bombing campaign is just getting started, with medication like chloroquine and others, and medical therapy treatments.

Finally Kill the f ing thing with a vaccine. Still 12 or more months away.

It still amazed me how something like this became what it is so quickly. We all have got to treat this thing like it was first described by China "A Demon Virus".

For on bats you dine.
Now you pay, until the end of time.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the math behind how fast isn't too difficult.

microbes can replicate pretty fast once they find a host or a place to grow that will support their life cycle.

one very interesting angle is to wonder we're not already dead? people just don't realize how many microbes of all sorts of different kinds are around them and within them, yet we somehow mostly manage to get along. but think about it, life only does well when there is other life, so microbes that were too destructive would self-select out for all their future generations and crash the system. you want a home, not a wasteland, so over billions of years the microbes have been figuring out how to balance things, we're just bigger lumps floating in their soup. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
the math behind how fast isn't too difficult.

microbes can replicate pretty fast once they find a host or a place to grow that will support their life cycle.

one very interesting angle is to wonder we're not already dead? people just don't realize how many microbes of all sorts of different kinds are around them and within them, yet we somehow mostly manage to get along. but think about it, life only does well when there is other life, so microbes that were too destructive would self-select out for all their future generations and crash the system. you want a home, not a wasteland, so over billions of years the microbes have been figuring out how to balance things, we're just bigger lumps floating in their soup. :)

Every beer I brew holds true to exactly what you said. I toss some microbes (yeast) in to the right environment and there is an explosion of reproductive growth. The microbes will continue feeding, multipling and producing ethenol, until there is nothing left to devour. Then they become dormant until the next time when they are placed into the right conditions again, then they do it all over again. The whole cycle is extremely fascinating to me. Some of the yeasts I use is hundreds of years old if not older.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Every beer I brew holds true to exactly what you said. I toss some microbes (yeast) in to the right environment and there is an explosion of reproductive growth. The microbes will continue feeding, multipling and producing ethenol, until there is nothing left to devour. Then they become dormant until the next time when they are placed into the right conditions again, then they do it all over again. The whole cycle is extremely fascinating to me. Some of the yeasts I use is hundreds of years old if not older.

it isn't that mutations won't happen either and we will get some deadly strains of microbes here or there, but the majority just doesn't work that way and the vast bulk of microbes are either benign or cause some mild distress in most of the creatures they infect. even the worst types like Ebola are not 100%.

like i'm pretty sure that this particular microbe is not a recent mutation, it probably has been hanging out in bats for a long time it just had not made the jump to humans until recently. had it done so before? dunno. will be interesting to see what the science of this one will be. i'm sure they'll be working on it...

from the microbes perspective they're likely not directly aware of much beyond their immediate environment, but it is fun to ponder what a micrbobe philosopher might be like way down there on the other scale of things away from the multiple cellular collective being we are. we are habitat and transportation for them - or as i like to think of it that humans are pretty much just ways of the rest of life to get around since we seem to be very good at innoculating every place we go with life if it already doesn't have it. and to me that is a good and noble purpose of us to get into, habitats in space and then other planets. as soon as we can, and it will help us to have a way to leave some of our petty imaturities behind.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well WHO doesn't like to use the actually virus name because they are afraid people would freak out. SARS-CoV-2. The thought of SARS scares people. SARS MERS Covid-19. All very closely related

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've heard it said that there are more microbes living on and in the human body than there are body cells. Or something like that. We need a healthy balance of microbes in our system.

yes, i think the ratio is about 10 to 1, but because the microbes are so tiny in comparison the the cells of the human body they don't take up as much space. like 2-4% or so.