What's the oldest tool you're still using, and why do you like it?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I guess you could call it a food grinder. I mostly use it for making cranberry relish for holidays. It is hand cranked and leaks like crazy. I think it was my grandfather's.

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i dont know if you would call it a tool but my grandmothers canning jars, some of them belonged to my greatgrandmother
Me too , I think these should count , lol. Blue ones , 2 quart ones, one with the flip tops and some with tin lids, I love em

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Do spouses count? :gig
:lol: I thought of disqualifying them when I posted the original question :D, but then I'd have to disqualify myself too, since I'm becoming a working antique!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
ChickaD said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Do spouses count? :gig
:lol: I thought of disqualifying them when I posted the original question :D, but then I'd have to disqualify myself too, since I'm becoming a working antique!
:gig Sorry. My DH is my favorite tool...if I pretend not to hear him, he'll do all the work...:p

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
:yuckyuck :lol: We seem to have the opposite arrangement here...:duc

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, it doesn't always work that way here, either. And he isn't usually too happy when it does, but food fixes that.

You know the saying the way to a man's heart is through his stomach? Yup, my husband LOL

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth! We call it "skillet labor"! And for those times when I'm working like crazy on some house project (pretending I've done it before and know what I'm doing), guess who get's to make the meal? (hint: not me! :p) a bit weird, but it works

ChickaD

Country Living
Reaction score
I remembered some really old small tools I've inherited that were once my grandmother's, making them around 100 yrs old. One is such a tiny hammer it looks like it's for elves. :D

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
roosmom said:
miss_thenorth said:
I hav a kitchen tool that is antique--and I don't even know what you would call it. It is a inverted cone shape with tiny holes, it is on legs that detach, and a wooden stick. I use it to make applesauce, tomato sauce, etc.
I HAVE ONE TOO!! I call it a sieve. I dont know if I like it, I think I like the food mill. You know, the sauce pan with a handle in the middle and holes in the bottom (like the sieve) and the presser (?)that goes around. Really hard to describe. It is a pre electric food mill lol.
I have one of those, but I thought it was called a corrinder (sp) :hu

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
punkin said:
roosmom said:
miss_thenorth said:
I hav a kitchen tool that is antique--and I don't even know what you would call it. It is a inverted cone shape with tiny holes, it is on legs that detach, and a wooden stick. I use it to make applesauce, tomato sauce, etc.
I HAVE ONE TOO!! I call it a sieve. I dont know if I like it, I think I like the food mill. You know, the sauce pan with a handle in the middle and holes in the bottom (like the sieve) and the presser (?)that goes around. Really hard to describe. It is a pre electric food mill lol.
I have one of those, but I thought it was called a corrinder (sp) :hu
I still use a garlic press that my mom bought right after she got married. Which would have been 61 years ago. Mom is not around anymore but the press is. And I think about it's history everytime I use it.