What's your fav. deer rifle?

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use a .243 with a Bushnell scope but I can't remember what grade it is. I am sitting out for deer season this year though, I have always hunted fields out of the same tree stand my grandfather used since I was 12 years old. This is the first year I don't have that option so I am a little nervous I guess.

hubby he uses an old Winchester 30-30 so he is all ready to shoot through the brush me not so much. :/

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a .270 fan all the way.

I have a Savage model. I really like the removable magazine in this gun. It makes it safer with the kids during driving in the Black Hills with my sons.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
30.06 is tony's favorite

he just bought a musketloader last week

I am not a gun person...he is....there is about 8-9 guns in the rifle cabinet.....one day will find out what they all are..LOL

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
its according to the situation, we have a Remington 700 Sendero sniper package chamberd in 7mm mag we use for cut overs, I use my Savage 111 270 with the Bushnell Elite Firefly (glow in the dark reticle, which helped me bag a doe last evening) scope the most and it is my favorite and for those thick ole bama woods i love my marlin 30-30 with iron sights. just my opinion and preference

loriwy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Isn't it kind of funny.I read alot, I bought DH a savage 270 for xmas, Dad a remington 270 for xmas a year later. In Wyoming they wanted to know why so big, not a 243? But family back east wanted to know why so small. After my numerous books that I read, I decided a 270 was a middle ground. It's done fantastic for antelope and mule deer. Haven't talked DH into elk and buffalo yet!
I KNOW, Fast,but easily deflected. At least every thing I've read. 7mm would be better for the punch. Praying for a clear shot??

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hubby's baby is a Remington 700 .270 with a Bushnell scope(not sure of the specs myself).

jcoogle

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
It all depends on where I am hunting. I either use a 30-30 or a 243. Around here the 30-06 or 270 is just over kill. I worked in a processing plant for a few years and alot of meat was wasted due to a large caliber.

Latest posts