What's your fav. deer rifle?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've got a .243 Savage and I love it. I just need to find a brush gun. Other than not being able to go through brush, I LOVE that gun.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Im watching this thread. My grandpa was the gun guy. They were all given to my aunt afther his passing. Now I am researching on what kind I should buy DH and I..

Im going to be watching this thread with interest.

:caf

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have 2 favorites... A Stevens 30.06 or my AK in 7.62x39 . I use my Stevens for 200-400 yard shots... The AK with a 5rd clip for less than 100yrd shots in brush. I like the rapid fire in case a shot deflects on branches twigs... the 30.06 just drops trees on me :(

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
The "7-08" passed with flying colors on Saturday. Sharon and I were out on the stand behind the house and a buck decided to cut thru the field in the very back. She couldn't get a good shot so I did. It was about 250 yard shot with a 140 grain bullet, in and out hitting the lungs, the exit wound was about 3/4 of an inch. He was about 20 feet from where I shot him at. On gutting it I did notice the internal damage was less than what I have been used to seeing from a .308.

Steve

Collector

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
after years of hunting big game with with several dfferent calibers I have settled on the .308. It does everything all of the other guns ive used for hunting, and uses less powder doing it. maybe it is just this particular rifle fits my shooting style but I feel like i am going to hit what i am aiming at everytime i pull the trigger, and thats what counts. so for now all my other rifles stay in the safe during hunting season.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Illinois is a shotgun state (except for handgun and muzzle loader seasons), high powered rifles are not allowed.

I'm using a rifled 12 guage with sabot slugs. Even with a lung shot the shock does damage in the abdomen.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Being a Maina and deer hunting in the blood. I us the following pending on how I feel or conditions.

1st 30-30 that is the true deer rifle IMO
2nd for longer open shots 30-40 krag
3rd. M4 with soft point. 5 round clip. I use it when I hear a lot of dumbasses are around. Never know!!

The longest shot you should take is 200 yrds max.
Make sure of your shot.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Illinois is a shotgun state (except for handgun and muzzle loader seasons), high powered rifles are not allowed.
Same w/Jersey. Most people use a 12 gauge, but for those that a 12 gauge is too big, they'll use a 20 gauge. When we got married, my hubby got me a 20 gauge since I wanted to learn how to hunt. I'm still waiting. :/