What's your fav. deer rifle?

lipoptena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
lipoptena said:
the deerrifle I prefer is my Carl Gustaf 2000 mkII, 30-06. A perfect stalking rifle.

Edit: because of me beeing a newbie I couldn't insert an image of this smoth beauty.
Here it is. Manlicher style stock, which I find extremely elegant on a rifle. A zeiss conquest 3-9x50 ontop.

ny%2Bbysse.JPG

westtxamber

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Lots of guns listed. but not a lot of reasons why. lol My boyfriend and I are looking at purchasing a gun each. I don't know a lot about guns, I mean I know the basics and I've fired a deer hunting rifle (I don't remember what kind) and an SKS. The SKS was way cool. :p Anyways, it's more for a prep than actual hunting right now, I just would rather be safe and have one. Just in case. So what would you recommend? I'm looking for something light weight, with a big bullet. I'm not looking to hunt elephants or something lol but I want to be able to hunt more than rabbit. I have very little skill, so something that's good to learn on as well (is there such a thing?). Thanks in advance!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
westtxamber said:
Lots of guns listed. but not a lot of reasons why. lol My boyfriend and I are looking at purchasing a gun each. I don't know a lot about guns, I mean I know the basics and I've fired a deer hunting rifle (I don't remember what kind) and an SKS. The SKS was way cool. :p Anyways, it's more for a prep than actual hunting right now, I just would rather be safe and have one. Just in case. So what would you recommend? I'm looking for something light weight, with a big bullet. I'm not looking to hunt elephants or something lol but I want to be able to hunt more than rabbit. I have very little skill, so something that's good to learn on as well (is there such a thing?). Thanks in advance!
If allowed in your area, try a 12 guage smothbore (shotgun) with rifled slugs. That is the gun of law in many flat areas because a high powered rifle bullet goes too far to be safe. Great knock down power because you are throwing about 1.3 ounces of lead. Now the range is limited because that heavy slug is not bullet shaped and between air resistance and gravity it tends to slow and fall. Change to lighter shot and it becomes the gun of choice for small game and birds and varmits that you can get close to. If SHTF that is what I want to have, along with several cases of shells. The size and weight of the shell is the one drawback but is not a problem in a fixed position, or normal big game hunting.
One note a big bullet in a light weight gun is going to have a 'kick' [recoil] which can be painfull. I suggest you try before you buy.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer a 20 gauge to a 12, but that could be because I'm a woman.

lipoptena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
~gd said:
If allowed in your area, try a 12 guage smothbore (shotgun) with rifled slugs. That is the gun of law in many flat areas because a high powered rifle bullet goes too far to be safe. Great knock down power because you are throwing about 1.3 ounces of lead. Now the range is limited because that heavy slug is not bullet shaped and between air resistance and gravity it tends to slow and fall. Change to lighter shot and it becomes the gun of choice for small game and birds and varmits that you can get close to. If SHTF that is what I want to have, along with several cases of shells. The size and weight of the shell is the one drawback but is not a problem in a fixed position, or normal big game hunting.
One note a big bullet in a light weight gun is going to have a 'kick' [recoil] which can be painfull. I suggest you try before you buy.
In Sweden we have this bizzare rules that allow slugs to be used on wildboar and fallow deer, but not when hunting red deer or roe deer.

westtxamber

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmmm...my bf was saying he thinks I'd like a 30.06. Never fired one so I don't have a clue. I did watch a youtube vid on one and the guy seemed to talk them up, uh a remington 710. Also said its a good tactical as well as deer hunting rifle. I think I really need to get out and shoot a few different types, kinda get a feel for them. Just don't know enough yet. What's the opinion on one of those though? Thanks in advance.

I definitely want to shoot a 12 gauge and see what I think...but Deb what's the benefit of a 20 gauge? I really don't know enough :p Never really been exposed to guns until now so...fill me in :p And thanks for all the advice guys, at least I'll have some idea what I want to try out before I spend the money on one. :D

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
westtxamber said:
Hmmm...my bf was saying he thinks I'd like a 30.06. Never fired one so I don't have a clue. I did watch a youtube vid on one and the guy seemed to talk them up, uh a remington 710. Also said its a good tactical as well as deer hunting rifle. I think I really need to get out and shoot a few different types, kinda get a feel for them. Just don't know enough yet. What's the opinion on one of those though? Thanks in advance.The 710 has been discontinued and replaced by the 770 Remington seems to be having problems with quality as they switched to plastic and cast parts on their effort to keep their rifles affordable

I definitely want to shoot a 12 gauge and see what I think...but Deb what's the benefit of a 20 gauge? I really don't know enough :p Never really been exposed to guns until now so...fill me in :p And thanks for all the advice guys, at least I'll have some idea what I want to try out before I spend the money on one. :D
The 20 gauge is a good choice. it is just lighter and throws a lighter bullet. Since many men don't consider it "manly"enough it is not very available in top line guns. often used and marketed as a youth or woman's gun, quality is often skipped to hold the price down I am sure you know what I am trying to say. They are not crap but are not usually top of the line either. I am a man but don't feel that I have to prove it all the time. I bought the best 20 gage I could find and it gets used just for birds and small game. If anyone comments I just say I am getting results better than yours with your manly cannon, Yep size does matter but how you use it matters more. LOL. See if you can find a shop with a range and guns you can shoot. a good gun can last your lifetime so be sure before you buy~gd A good gunsmith can modify the stock and a few other things so the gun fits you better, well worth considering because most guns are made for the average MAN. Like jeans, you can ware his. or buy a pair made for women.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Like GD says, I found the 12 gauge to be just a bit much for me to handle. It had more kick than I wanted. My gun is a nice one, and I've had a few guys get jealous over it when they realize what I have. W/out getting my gun out and looking at it, I'm pretty sure this is it. It looks right-down to the engraving on the side.

http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight.html

BACOG

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My favorite deer rifle is an Encore Pistol in .30-06.