What's your favorite hand "tool"?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went to HF today but opted for the longer flush cut saw with the rubber handle grip...looked easier to use and just as sharp, plus was cheaper. We'll see how it cuts...Eli will be using it for notching some 4x4s this weekend.

I had forgotten the sheer amount of cheap tools they have in that place!! :thVERY tempting....extremely tempting. I got out the door with just that saw, some zip ties(GREAT price, BTW) and a set of wood chisels, but I had to make myself put some things back. Oh...and got a $1 clamp on my way out. :barnie

Lol HF is like a candy store for me... I can walk out of that place with carts full of cheap Chinese crap at a time.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Machete -- well, beyond hammer & screwdriver -- use it a lot if out working weeds/brush, or snakes, & chop veggies for the chickens, too. I'm pretty handy with it and it's sharp. :cool:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Scissors. I have a nice pair that comes apart that I use for non food tasks and another pair I use for food things like cutting up bacon or stew meat or cleaning clams. Another for cutting herbs and such.

Ok, I think I own 5 or 6 pairs and use them all regularly.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the sort of thread that tempts me. Trouble is, I can be deeply thankful at any particular moment (or work session) that someone designed this or that hand tool... but it's "the tool of the hour" if you know what I mean. Whatever it may be, it just does an essential job that I need to be doing at that time.:love:love
What a question!:barnie

View attachment 5112
Cases in point... These have each often been my favorite of the moment. Left to right, hand-grip scissors (save fatigue and finger chafing), Japanese-style fine-cutting saw (cuts on the pull stroke), adjustable open-end ("crescent") wrench, Stillson pipe wrench, Picquik screwdriver (has 7 of the most common tips, which are hex-shanked and can be fit into an electric drill or electric screwdriver).

Man I really like my Japanese-style saws. Don't know if you have a harbor Freight around your area or not but this saw is one of the HF Gems - sharp as a pack of razors and great for close tolerance wood working.

https://m.harborfreight.com/12-in-flush-cut-saw-62118.html

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, BC. But it's not just shipping that influences cost, though. Canada has long had protective tariffs (trying to avoid the loss of Canadian manufacturing & retail jobs), so when we import things duty can be charged. i.e., we have to pay it.

But if I send it to you as a gift in a flat rate envelope who will be all the wiser? And what business is it of the Canadian government anyways? Please tell me you don't get your mail via the mounted police :)

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like that saw and I love the price and I DO have a Harbor Freight in my town, though I often forget that. We need a saw like that all the time and never have just the right one, though we have quite a few small hand saws here, most are for cutting limbs and not much for precision work.

Gonna have to check those out....THANKS, CC...for adding to my tool addiction. o_O

Glad I could contribute :) seriously not much is good at HF but this saw is one of those HF Gems. Just remember it cuts on the pull stroke just the opposite of a normal saw. Very small kerf I use it to clean out guitar fret slots after I get them all gunked up gluing binding to the neck and right before I hammer the frets into the neck. Use it with respect like I said it's sharper than a pack.of razors, it will cut your flesh deep before you even realized it did.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok here you go... Harbor Freight coupons. Just DL to your phone as a pictures and show the cashier at checkout.

Screenshot_2017-10-18-16-42-23.png

Horray for free made in China junk to fill up American landfills.

While your there don't forget your free crappy tape measure... It's crappy but hey it's free as in beer free.
Screenshot_2017-10-18-16-46-00.png

Also get your free flash light - never tried this one who knows if might actually be halfway decent who knows? Might work for many uses, might work one time who knows but with free Chinese batteries I doubt it would last long before the batteries leak. Generally if it's sold at harbor freight and has a switch, plug, or batteries it's crap but who knows????
Screenshot_2017-10-18-16-48-07.png

And don't forget your free rags as long as your there. If for nothing else you could use them to wipe you butt in a pinch - their "non abrasive".
Screenshot_2017-10-18-16-50-07.png

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All great coupons, except those microfiber rags....HATE the way they feel and the way they clean. They make my fingernails want to crawl off my hands. :barnie

Agree and don't get any wood chips on them. The chips will be stuck to the rag for good. See what I mean? Good for nothing but the landfill now... Horray for free made in China garbage :(
IMG_20171018_172513555.jpg