What's your favorite hand "tool"?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
But if I send it to you as a gift in a flat rate envelope who will be all the wiser? And what business is it of the Canadian government anyways? Please tell me you don't get your mail via the mounted police :)
CrealCritter, you're a great guy and clearly generous.

I've got several narrow-kerf saws, a couple of them that are smaller than the one I pictured (incl one that has replaceable blades). So, thanks, but I've got a an alternative idea: please send it as a gift to that DIYer & fine person, Beekissed.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today my hand tool was a round point shovel....... :clapDH's tool was a square point shovel....:woot

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Went to HF today but opted for the longer flush cut saw with the rubber handle grip...looked easier to use and just as sharp, plus was cheaper. We'll see how it cuts...Eli will be using it for notching some 4x4s this weekend.

I had forgotten the sheer amount of cheap tools they have in that place!! :thVERY tempting....extremely tempting. I got out the door with just that saw, some zip ties(GREAT price, BTW) and a set of wood chisels, but I had to make myself put some things back. Oh...and got a $1 clamp on my way out. :barnie

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Machete -- well, beyond hammer & screwdriver -- use it a lot if out working weeds/brush, or snakes, & chop veggies for the chickens, too. I'm pretty handy with it and it's sharp. :cool:

that's a great hand tool very handy.

I constantly loose screwdrivers though. I swear they sprout legs a walk off. I have to buy a new set at least once a year. Mainly its the Phillips head screwdrivers that sprout legs and run away.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That Harbor Freight saw looks like a good one, and if it's as quality a piece as you say, what a bargain for the money! Unfortunately, Harbor Freight's nearest stores to me are about a 450-mile drive west, and down across the U.S. border. We don't have too many of the American-based big-box stores here in the far west of Canada. We do have some Canadian ones... but prices for comparable items as H.F. would sell would be higher here. Still, tools that you need and can use a fair bit are always a smart investment.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That Harbor Freight saw looks like a good one, and if it's as quality a piece as you say, what a bargain for the money! Unfortunately, Harbor Freight's nearest stores to me are about a 450-mile drive west, and down across the U.S. border. We don't have too many of the American-based big-box stores here in the far west of Canada. We do have some Canadian ones... but prices for comparable items as H.F. would sell would be higher here. Still, tools that you need and can use a fair bit are always a smart investment.

Let me check what shipping would cost to send you one. Seriously though a great little saw for the money just can't be beat. Your in British Columbia right?

Screenshot_2017-10-18-14-09-12.png

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, BC. But it's not just shipping that influences cost, though. Canada has long had protective tariffs (trying to avoid the loss of Canadian manufacturing & retail jobs), so when we import things duty can be charged. i.e., we have to pay it.