What's your hot beverage of choice during the winter?

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been craving hot apple cider lately, but I only like that once in a while. And I love a cup of chamomile tea before bed.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have about 4 inches of heavy wet snow on the ground, with another 3-4 expected before nightfall. When I came in from tending the livestock this morning, I immediately fixed coffee with cream and sugar.

However, once our goats kids (around Thanksgiving) and we start milking again, we'll be making hot cocoa with fresh goat milk, real cocoa and a tad bit of sugar or honey.

I also drink a lot of hot tea ... whatever kind I have. Green, Earl Grey, herbal, etc. I do like hot spiced cider but usuall reserve that for December days. When I feel congested or flu-ish, I fix the hot toddy too, concentrating on whiskey, honey and lemon but light on the tea! Which reminds me, I need some whiskey.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hot chocolate w/whipped cream in it. Of course, that's kind of hard to put in a thermos. The whipped cream just doesn't stay on the top. :/

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried making a hot toddy last night because of this thread...it was very good! ;) Now I'll have to try that apple pie recipe.

ETA: And I just found this recipe in my email today too!

Recipe: Hot Toddy With Brown-Sugar Apples
By Judith Hausman

We now have a few local corn whiskies in the Hudson Valley, N.Y., that really warm you up from the inside. This recipe is adapted from local star chef, Peter Kelly, chef-owner of X20 Xaviars on the Hudson, Restaurant X and Xaviars, located in the Hudson Valley.

INGREDIENTS
1 ounce corn whiskey
1 ounce apple liqueur
3 ounces cider, warmed
1 ounce half-and-half
4 ounces apple slices
brown sugar for coating apples
PREPARATION
For one drink, add warmed half-and-half to a warm mug; mix whiskey and apple liqueur into hot cider, then slowly pour into the mug. Garnish with apples that you have dipped in brown sugar.

You can set up multiples of the first three ingredients (and maybe a couple of cinnamon sticks, too) to warm in a crockpot or on the stovetop. Then guests can serve themselves the half-and-half and ladle in the cider mix.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Hot chocolate w/whipped cream in it. Of course, that's kind of hard to put in a thermos. The whipped cream just doesn't stay on the top. :/
Suck it off!! That's first thing I do to whipped cream drinks ;)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Chai from homemade dried mix
Hot cocoa from ditto
Hot green tea with a bit of milk, cinnamon stick and honey

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
calendula said:
I tried making a hot toddy last night because of this thread...it was very good! ;) Now I'll have to try that apple pie recipe.

ETA: And I just found this recipe in my email today too!

Recipe: Hot Toddy With Brown-Sugar Apples
By Judith Hausman

We now have a few local corn whiskies in the Hudson Valley, N.Y., that really warm you up from the inside. This recipe is adapted from local star chef, Peter Kelly, chef-owner of X20 Xaviars on the Hudson, Restaurant X and Xaviars, located in the Hudson Valley.

INGREDIENTS
1 ounce corn whiskey
1 ounce apple liqueur
3 ounces cider, warmed
1 ounce half-and-half
4 ounces apple slices
brown sugar for coating apples
PREPARATION
For one drink, add warmed half-and-half to a warm mug; mix whiskey and apple liqueur into hot cider, then slowly pour into the mug. Garnish with apples that you have dipped in brown sugar.

You can set up multiples of the first three ingredients (and maybe a couple of cinnamon sticks, too) to warm in a crockpot or on the stovetop. Then guests can serve themselves the half-and-half and ladle in the cider mix.

Oh yum, that sounds just too good! Make some and invite us over!!

Latest posts