When do you know it's time to jump ship?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So today I got a very strange call from the boss on my cell phone. Since our cell phones are not company phones, we have a gentleman's agreement that we only call each other's cell phone, if there is an emergency or something critical to the business

Here's how the call went down... I'm still scratching my head.

I answered and said Boss?
He said hey there, how's things going?
I said ok, I haven't changed much on you so it'll be about the same as before you left for vacation.
He said that's great, I heard you doing just fine.
I said Ok well that's good.
Then he said I got a question for you, take a minute and think about it before you answer me
I said ok, deep thoughts.
Then he said who do you know in the organization that can do your job?
Now this threw me for a loop and I laughed out loud and said who can do my job?
He said yes
I said well honestly only one person comes to mind and that's you Boss
Then he said that's exactly what I thought, hold down the fort, we'll talk to you when I get back, bye - click

What the heck was that all about??? it was like a drive-by shooting or something... Any ideas?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well the boss is back, Thank God. I had a long catch up the boss meeting with him this morning. It ended with I'm not on the "list" and he's waiting on HR to talk to me about a promotion.

I re-expressed to him I don't want to be a manager. He said I know. So it'll be interesting to see what's he's got cooking in the kitchen. He's pretty creative most of the time.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Luck! Hopefully he has the perfect situation in mind for you.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good Luck! Hopefully he has the perfect situation in mind for you.

Well I just got off another call with the boss about an hour ago. He first told me he got the info from HR and I've been promoted to a S E A. I said ok you got me scratching my head, what is a S E A? He said: Senior Executive Advisor. After a bit of a pause to let that sink in. I said that's a fancy title boss, what extra responsibilities go with that title? He said none, you've already been fulfilling the role for several years.

He then said I had to take a meeting while on vacation. The management team had to look across the entire organization for some cuts. When your name came up. The entire management team agreed your role is critical but your title was wrong. So I suggested a S E A and everyone agreed, so now your officially a S E A.

The promotion came with a modest, salary increase and a fancy title, but it sounds like it's pretty much business as usual. More importantly, NO REPORTS :)

Then he said: when I retire, I really don't know who you will be reporting to. I suggested to continue to report to whoever is going to back fill me, but no one has been named yet.

What's totally ironic to me though, I asked here, When do you know when it's time to jump ship? Then I get a "SEA" title... Ironic to say the least.

i goggled senior executive advisor job description just out of curiosity... And yeah, it pretty much fits in with my current responsibilities. With some room for growth. And yep management does make some stupid decisions sometimes. When I think they are going to make one, I let them know and why I believe it's wrong and what the right decision should be.

Screenshot_2020-03-23-16-59-08.png

Last edited:

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm too old for rollercoaster rides, overworked, tired and underpaid. What are some signs, that it's time for a new job?
All of the above, Well I could say the same to myself:old:old:old. Getting a bit of the oldtimer decease too.