Where and how did you learn how to:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Where did you find the confidence and knowledge to prepare natural remedies for yourself and your family. I have been reading for over a year and have made a few tinctures for myself. But where did you start and how did you find the confidence to make something that was going to be ingested by you or a family member.

Did you take a course? If so - online or at a school?

Do you grow your own herbs or purchase them? (If you forage, where did you get the knowledge to recognize these plants?)

Do you have a favorite reference book?

How long did you study before you started making and ingesting your remedies?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't self medicate very often But I have an elderly German neighbor who recommended a book to me. I found it printed in English, her was Auf Deutch.

Maria Treben, Health through God's Pharmacy. The book works kind of like an encyclopedia of herbs and what they are used for. Very informative. Maria Treben is very well known in Europe,

Just thought I would share. gina

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants by Andrew Chevallier.
It shows the plant and parts used, the how tos and the cautions.

I started with teas that double as medicinal teas to see if I tolerated them or experienced unpleasant effects. I like the more holistic approach of changing the diet and the "less is more" approach for medicinals.

I ordinarily don't have much wrong with me so my experimenting has been limited. I did make a St. John's Wort concoction simply because there was an abundance of it one year. I tried it a few days, but I am not prone to depression and found no effect.

I find extreme happiness in the dark days of winter by going for a hike in the woods, chewing a piece of a spice bush, canadian hemlock needles and wintergreen leaves as I find them for the taste sensation. Sassafrass branch tips, too. I do know my native plants and can positively identify them in any season. So, a book on identification should supplement the previous book if you plan to forage your medicinal plants.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have more to say... mushrooms and fungi, molds and yeasts are
becoming the superstars of medicines.

My Dh is on immunosuppressants. We looked up the origins of his meds and they are all derived from assorted fungi; one is an Asian mushroom. I find this amazing.
I've looked into other medications to discover similar origins.
Red Yeast Rice is the basis for one prescription cholesterol lowering drug. Probably not news to anyone here, but pretty cool.

I'm not adventurous with fungi.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
My mom has had books on edible and medicinal plants, herblore, and the like for years. She would occasionally make something here and there and I would get to help. When I started getting even more interested in herbal remedies I started getting more books to read. Even if I didn't make the things in them I would read just to get an idea what it was all about and gather information.
Before you use any herb you should look it up with a reliable source to see if there are any sideaffects, whether it needs diluting to use, things like that. I would start out with simple things, such as chewing plantain and putting it on a bite or sting from nettle.

To have confidence to make something and use it, you must have confidence in the plant. Learn about it, where it grows, the properties, contents, some history. I might be a nutcase, but occasionaly I sit and talk the plants I'm growing. I know some herbalists such as Susun Weed say to sit and just breath with your plant, to have a bond and mutual respect. Take care of the plant, and the plant will take care of you. And one thing I always do is that I thank the plant when I harvest it, I believe that is very important.

I have never taken any courses, just the books. And I also watch videos on Youtube by Susun Weed and 'HerbMentor', and learn things that way. They often show the plant so I know what it can look like.

Some good books that I have are Healing Wise by Susun Weed, Mountain Medicine by Tommie Bass/Darryl Patton (has good pictures to learn from), and Perscription for Herbal Healing by Phyllis Balch.

And here are some good websites to look at;
http://www.altnature.com/gallery/index.html
http://www.naturalark.com/
http://www.herbshealing.com/?f51e1040
http://www.woodherbs.com/index.html

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I only do things for small stuff like colds, upset stomachs and the like. I bought my first wild edibles book about 10-12 years ago, along with a mushroom book , and my kids and I hit the forest, swamps, rivers ditches etc.

Then we actually got DSL internet, and I started reading and I joined several wild edible groups. In the past 10 years I have read alot and recommend some of what has already been posted.

My family is very healthy, as in no issues. I typically am healthy, but I have medical issues that I would not dare treat without advice from my doctor.

There is so much you can do and learn. Like a dandelion tea to detox your liver etc. but I agree with alot of what BB says. research from reputable sources and get to know what you are using.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm the same as Miss the North. I don't get too crazy with the natural stuff since we fortunately don't really need anything.

For colds, we have herbal teas, honey for sore throats and coughs, essential oils rubbed into chests and feet. I personally take a drop twice a day of oil of oregano when I feel something coming on, but I can't get anybody else to swallow the stuff! ;)

Otherwise, we're really into prevention. I spend a LOT of time growing, picking, foraging, putting up and preparing real whole foods. I seriously believe in good food, lots of water, as much exercise as reasonable, fresh air and good times with friends and family for great health.

The family has the occasional cold or mild fever for the kids. Nothing that we need care for these days. (knock on wood!)

I guess for us this would be the first step, and I would feel comfortable moving into more herbal teas, essential oils, etc. I would want an excellent resource, though. I have The Prescription for Nutritional Healing and Prescription for Dietary Wellness. I think they are excellent resources.

ETA: Oh, BB--I just noticed your post on Prescription for Herbal Healing. My two "Prescription" books above are by Phyllis Balch also. I didn't know about this one and will be checking into a used copy online :) Thanks!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Otherwise, we're really into prevention. I spend a LOT of time growing, picking, foraging, putting up and preparing real whole foods. I seriously believe in good food, lots of water, as much exercise as reasonable, fresh air and good times with friends and family for great health.
:thumbsup
I agree with this whole-heartedly!

Where do you get your oregano oil from?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I got it from a friend. She orders it direct through a supplier--apparently the company only sells this way. I'm sorry I can't tell you more. If you really need a source and can't find any, I'll talk to my friend and try to get you more details :)