Where and how did you learn how to:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I had a Rhodale Herb book many years ago. I got brave enough to use it because I was poor :p

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't self medicate unless it is something run of the mill, or familiar.
If I want to go herbal, I use the Herb Bible and the Foxfire books.

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There are TONS of books out there on this subject. Start with the simple things like tea.If you have any allergies be extremely careful. Do an arm test first by rubbing the part of the plant you want to use on the inside of your arm. Go slow.

(Oh and I'm sorry but I've read the Foxfire books and while interesting I would NOT use them for this purpose.)

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. This is a very interesting topic to me.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Otherwise, we're really into prevention. I spend a LOT of time growing, picking, foraging, putting up and preparing real whole foods. I seriously believe in good food, lots of water, as much exercise as reasonable, fresh air and good times with friends and family for great health.
Same here....along the way I've found a few things that I will pull out of the hat for cold symptoms or yeasts. But the prevention does the trick for us.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I grew up with a few "home remedy's" being passed down, my father is a chiropractor as well.

However when I had a sick baby, I took him to see a homeopath for his high fever's. I trusted the homeopath he is very well known in CA. He sat with me for an hour and then looked at my son, didn't touch him just looked. He got all the info he needed from me. For someone to listen to me, to acknowledge that the smells I could tell him about, and strange things like that meant something (my son was at that time afraid of the vacuum cleaner as well), was all I needed to trust him in return.

Even as a smoker, I've always been able to smell if something wasn't right - it might sound funny or you too might smell things aren't right, in a way you can't really explain. But the homeopath totally knew what I was talking about. I can absolutely smell when my kids are about to get sick.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I grew up with it, learned from my mother, grandmother and great grandmother. Then I read a lot of books and still do. Now I also do a lot of reasearch on line.
Like everyone, I am more into prevention, than coming up with some kind of scary cure! I will try some things, mostly because I don't have easy access to a doctor these days, but anything really serious, I would see a standard doctor for. That goes for my animals as well.
I'll try herbal remedies for a while, but if it doesn't help, off to a doctor we go.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Whoo! Exactly a year since I posted on this thread last.

I have another book to add to the list;
101 Herbs with Stories & Essays by Marcia Neely

I lived only about two miles from Marcia. I have gotten many of my herbs - alive and dried, from her. Her husband is also a beek and woodworker. Great people!

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wildsky-

I get what you mean about kids and people not smelling right when they're about to get sick. I could always tell when my daughter was about to get sick from her smell. My son hasn't been sick yet ( he'll be 2 in November) so I don't know about him.I can smell when there's something wrong to the point that I can barely stand to go into ANY medical facility. The smell of the place makes me quite nauseated.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I learned from working under a natural practitioner. Honestly, my background us more medical and I was very skeptical at first but I've got a lot more rounded view now.

I have the Prescription books too, and about a dozen various herbal books. I guess the things that come up are generally things I've dealt with before though, so I don't really use the books often.

I know what you mean about smells. I have a pretty well defined sense of smell I think, and I can't stand to be in hospitals or nursing homes. I always find myself smelling everything when dealing with a sickness. But if I ask for help, I don't usually mention that part. Sometimes I get info I can use from it but often it's a smell but I can't tell what it means really.

Oh, and me and the gals -- try putting the oregano oil in OJ and getting someone to take it. Sounds strange I know, but OJ is the best way to tolerate the taste of it. Especially if more than a couple drops.

I do love essential oils and use them often too. I've seen near-miracles with homeopathy too, but it all seems to lie in the skill of the person selecting the right remedy at the right time, and I'm not skilled in that. I can follow instructions though. :)