Where are all the lids???

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got a dozen wide mouth quart jars at Walmart today! Whoop! Going to can spaghetti sauce. I made some, canned in pint jars, takes two. DH said it was the best spaghetti sauce he ever had. I told him, well DUH! I used OUR tomatoes!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got a dozen wide mouth quart jars at Walmart today! Whoop! Going to can spaghetti sauce. I made some, canned in pint jars, takes two. DH said it was the best spaghetti sauce he ever had. I told him, well DUH! I used OUR tomatoes!

yay for small victories! :)

it makes such a big difference! :) we were just talking about how much we enjoy the whole process and it is true, even when i wasn't eating much tomato stuff at all i still enjoyed the smell, and the work, picking and cleaning them and having fun talking about the odd shapes and whatever as we're chunking along. :)

last year i did almost 90% of all the canning here and i told Mom tonight that i'd have no trouble doing it again if she needs to rest and get her feet up and stuff, but she's pretty much not listening to me on those kinds of things so... we go on...

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ive been in 2 Walmarts and nothing but empty shelves. I did, however, manage to score 4 packets of yeast. Yay!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No jars at TSC here , 2 different stores. Rural King advertised pint jars a couple weeks ago.... heard they still have some.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No jars at TSC here , 2 different stores. Rural King advertised pint jars a couple weeks ago.... heard they still have some.

we have several cases of pint jars that are extra. i used to have them for doing strawberry jam. i still do jam but not as much. give aways. eventually they'll get used up. but in the meantime we have a few cases of wide mouth jars and no lids for them.

i've already made a dent in our stack of small mouth jars already. so maybe i'll end up to have to do tomatoes in small mouth pint jars. ugh! i sure hope not...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
since i had some time to surf i checked TSC for lids, all out for the entire region (for both wide mouth and regular).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
was finally able to get some jars today. first place i've been able to find that had anything. this should hold us for a week or two. no lids still to be found anyplace. mostly what i need are large mouth lids. rumor has it a place might have some this Friday but i'll have to wait and see until then.

we still have about half the tomatoes to come in depending upon how many more set up and what the sun, weather, etc. damage is like.

157 quarts put up so far. have picked about 550 lbs of tomatoes (which is right in line with a normal season).

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Plenty of tomatoes on the vines, but they are all green. Those that are ripe are rotting on the bottom. Not sure if I will get anymore off them this year. Pulled up the squash and cucumber plants. Got a bunch of pickling cucumbers, but not many burpless ones. Planted some cabbage but either a few died or the rabbits got them because there is only a few left. Pumpkins are doing well.

Latest posts