Where are all the lids???

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1608911637995.png

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Prices are now getting BAD!!!!! May be time to consider tattlers. Saw 3 cases of qt jars in a groc store yesterday but, no boxes of just lids.

Still have about 12 dz of each size on hand but, always looking to replenish.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We seem to have a steady supply of pint and half pint jars here now. They had the quarter pints in as well which Ive needed. The quarts are still in and out. Half gallons are low but steady. The one store even had some of the blue half pints. All were at the a pretty normal price.

No lids though. Still havent seen those anywhere. I'm on the look out for my uncle.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I picked up another dozen quart jars the other days - with rings and lids. I've got a lot of lids but of course trying to conserve. I recently ran an experimental batch of lemon juice using lids that have previously been used. They way I look at it - If they seal - they seal. No fails as of yet.

sharron

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I picked up another dozen quart jars the other days - with rings and lids. I've got a lot of lids but of course trying to conserve. I recently ran an experimental batch of lemon juice using lids that have previously been used. They way I look at it - If they seal - they seal. No fails as of yet.
i've been thinking of trying this too, someone told me they use them over again as long as they don't don't bend the lids, and they're still nice and straight to reseal:idunno

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been reusing lids for years. I pick through and make sure the lids aren't bent, the rubber part is not compressed real flat... put them in a pan and simmer for a bit.... yeah, keep them hot and sterile for using but I like to have them simmer a bit as it seems to plump up the rubber edge a bit.
I like the tattlers and I still use the old glass bail top jars too. Jar rubbers can be found and they also can be reused to some extent. If one or two don't seal, you get a new lid or jar rubber and redo with the next batch or just chill and eat.