Where can I buy bulk raw peanuts for a reasonable price?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, hhf, and welcome! :welcome

I think that was the first site I found by googling....I am looking for something much less expensive, though, being the skinflint that I am! I am hoping for something like 25# for $50 or less, shipping included. That may not be reasonable, but it still puts peanuts at a luxury price. I would like to can them in quart jars in brine. Maybe I will find some in Florida when we go in Feb, but it is a business trip, and there is not much time for driving around. The only roadside stand we know we will be driving by was for sale last year, so if it is still there, I will ask them if they will sell me a sack.

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Freemotion,

You know the best boiled peanuts are the ones made with green peanuts. Which mean they are fresh and have not been dried out. Once when the kids were little dh and I were traveling through MS up from Miami and had not had boiled peanuts in years. We stopped at a roadside stand and bought 5 pounds. DH took a nap and when he woke up the 3 boys and I had eaten everyone of them...

Now we are living in NC you can find them all over. Including two gas stations within 4 miles of the house. You can even buy canned at the store.

Susan

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Whoa, expensive! I had some in Sebring a couple weeks ago on our Florida trip. Certainly they are not using green peanuts this time of year....anyone know?

I found an online source of raw in-shell peanuts, but you are right, they are dried, not green. I found a recipe to can them and it adjusts for the dried type. I am thinking that may be the only type I've ever had, anyone know the answer to this? Could there still be green peanuts for boiling at the roadside stands, or are they using dried ones? I didn't know to ask when I was there!

I want to order 25 lbs to can, and will if they are what I've eaten in the past. If I've never had green ones, I won't know the difference!

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Freemotion,

Where I work there is a farmers market in the spring?summer. I can ask if they can get green peanuts and how much they would cost if you are interested. Then the only issue would be getting them to you from NC. The roadside stands around here in the summer usually use the green but I think the gas stations use raw.

Last year I bought seeds to grow my own peanuts so we would have fresh green one but my garden was never tilled so I gave them to a cousin in LA. I might try this year. My dad use to grow them but you have to have the dirt so you can pull them out plant roots peanuts and all so I am thinking that to grow above ground in a 55 gallon barrel might work best.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is the update! I just got my 25# of raw peanuts in the mail from Bertie County Peanuts. The green are the traditional ones, but apparently they will get moldy in the time it takes for them to be shipped by UPS ground or USPS standard, and I am not willing to pay for overnight or second-day air!!!

I was also told by a peanut farmer that answered my e-mail so nicely that the off-season ones I'd eaten in February in Florida were the raw DRIED peanuts, since the green ones wouldn't keep that long. They need to be soaked first, and are not as good as the green ones, but since apparently I've never tasted the green ones, I won't know the difference. I really liked the ones I did have, though!

So I will be canning my 25# of peanuts and maybe more if they come out as yummy as I hope they will!!!! I love to have them for lunch as well as for snacks. Mmmmm...... :drool

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I lived for quite a long while just a couple of miles from the Bertie county line.

Used to live in one town where every year we would have the Peanut Festival and someone (one year my brother got to do this) would dress up as Mr Peanut from planters peanuts.

I have never cared for peanuts.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know what I would do without boiled peanuts!! One of my favorite foods! :drool

We have them everywhere here and I usually buy 50-75 and put up some in the freezer. Never tried canning but that is interesting. I may have to try it this year. I have never tried dried ones just the green.

Glad you found some though and I hope they are yummmy. :thumbsup