Where do you buy your bulk foods?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I vaguely remember a thread on this awhile back (maybe)? But I couldn't find it.

Dh and I are looking to really start stocking up our pantry. Just wondering where everyone bought their bulk foods? Online or a brick and mortar store, either or.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't have much in the way of stores in my area, so I just buy a bit extra most trips - it all adds up. But I also don't stockpile the way that some people do as I kinda like to rotate stock, ya know?

For me, it's a personal decision to support the local grocery store, so I don't order bulk foods online. I did order a bunch of vanilla beans online as they weren't readily available within a 30 mile radius. I don't even think about hitting the farmers market since I garden here, but I should.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have a store here called Winco. Best local prices, you bag your own groceries and there are many items sold in bulk bins. The have good sales sometimes too.

We also shop at Costco, but we don't have a membership, our daughter does and we occasionally go with her and split very large packages of things we both use. She has more space issues so can't really store any quantity.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I actually don't buy bulk, I shop sales. Once you get your pantry up to where you have three or four of everything, and at least a dozen of things you go through quickly, you can relax and really just buy when things are at really low prices to keep your pantry stocked. It does end up saving you alot more than simply buying in bulk i think. i find you really have to be careful in bulk stores, the packaging is really meant to fool you into thinking you are getting a great deal when in many cases you're not

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I buy bulk beans for long term storage and daily use from a local co-op, 25 lb bags. Most of the stores sell 20lb bags of rice, so thats where i get that.I have also bought 50lb bags of corn and wheat from local feed suppliers.I have milled the corn for things like cornbead and it was very good.Feed store grains are not clean like other sources, but well worth the effort to clean your own, because of the big savings.Some won't use grains sold for " livestock ", it works for me.Same with local soft red wheat to mill for flour.See whats availble locally in your area, your bulk supplies don't have to come nicely packaged from big box stores or the internet.See if you can find a co-op in your area to buy bulk beans, grains etc..I like buying and storing bulk as a hedge against inflation and because i know i have it, if suddenly its not availble.Be sure to learn to store properly, if you don't alrady know how too...hope this helped.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes some times you have to watch out for the bulk sales. Here it is cheaper per pound to buy the 4 pound bags of Sugar instead of the 20 pound bag. You can get it for 4 cents cheaper per pound by buying the smaller bags. I think the stores are trying to trick you. I always bring a calculator or a pen and paper so I can figure out which is cheaper to buy. Even just a few cents add up to a big savings.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I love Mountain Rose Herbs.

Since I'm low carb, I don't do rice and beans in bulk anymore, but I think buying a quarter cow at a time is a grand idea.