Where do you buy your bulk foods?

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy a lot of my things from Sams Club (popcorn, yeast, oil, flower, rice) and a little Mennonite store that's about 40mins away. They are great for spices, old fashioned tools, canning and cheese making supplies...

Jr's General Store
4715 State Rte 41 S
Bainbridge, OH 45612

but have found an LDS cannery up in groveport ohio (south end of columbus) and I plan on trying to go there to get wheat and beans they so far have the cheapest prices of anywhere I've found...

http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/...3115_HSC_OrderForm_US_ENG_28_APR_2011_pdf.pdf

the address to the one in groveport is

4431 Marketing Place
PO Box 367
Groveport, Ohio 43125

I personally haven't contacted them yet or made a visit but found some nice reviews online... I'm currently saving up so I can get all I need in one big trip since it's over an hour drive.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
I buy a lot of my things from Sams Club (popcorn, yeast, oil, flower, rice) and a little Mennonite store that's about 40mins away. They are great for spices, old fashioned tools, canning and cheese making supplies...

Jr's General Store
4715 State Rte 41 S
Bainbridge, OH 45612

but have found an LDS cannery up in groveport ohio (south end of columbus) and I plan on trying to go there to get wheat and beans they so far have the cheapest prices of anywhere I've found...

http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/...3115_HSC_OrderForm_US_ENG_28_APR_2011_pdf.pdf

the address to the one in groveport is

4431 Marketing Place
PO Box 367
Groveport, Ohio 43125

I personally haven't contacted them yet or made a visit but found some nice reviews online... I'm currently saving up so I can get all I need in one big trip since it's over an hour drive.
It's so funny you should mention the LDS store! I actually called them today but missed their store hours. They're only open M-W and saturday from what I remember from the message. And it's only for a few hours at a time. I wanted to call to see what they had and their prices. You have to have an appt to actually go buy anything though from what I understand.

And I think I've been to that store in Bainbridge. Is there a little deli down the road from it?

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They have a wonderful deli right in JR's and a bakery about a 1/4 mile up the road... the bakery has amazing food but their prices have went way up so I don't stop there often I can go to JR's and get the supplies to make the same stuff WAY cheaper at home.... LOL

Yeah I checked the LDS hours once before too... that's another reason I'm saving up for one big trip... If I have to have an appointment I want to really get my times worth... LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I actually don't buy bulk, I shop sales. Once you get your pantry up to where you have three or four of everything, and at least a dozen of things you go through quickly, you can relax and really just buy when things are at really low prices to keep your pantry stocked. It does end up saving you alot more than simply buying in bulk i think. i find you really have to be careful in bulk stores, the packaging is really meant to fool you into thinking you are getting a great deal when in many cases you're not
X2

I do hit Sams Club but sometimes the 'bulk' is too much, like a gigantic jar of something....if I open it I would have to throw most away before I used it. bigger packages and jars of stuff. I could never go thru a 250 oz. jar of Skippy haha

but some things they have the smaller jar/package in a bulk wrapper. I do buy some items like that......but I do what Morel does basically.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yea to get started I think we'll have to do just that. Just spend a little each paycheck and buy small amounts of things or stuff we find on sale. It's can be kind of $$ to get started. I will definetely be glad when we get to the stage of having mulitple of the things we need and can just stock up now and then when sales hit.

We actually went to Aldi's today and bought some things to get started. Eventually I would like to grow and then can/freeze/vacum seal most of our foods. But it's gonna take us a couple of yrs to get the garden going that well since we just moved here. And then there will still be things we need to buy. So we're doing this along with farmers markets/grocery store sales and buying fresh fruits and veggies in bulk to then can or otherwise preserve.

So it's gonna be a work in progress for awhile but it feels really good to have things to fall back on just in case. :)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
caned goods we buy en mass from aldi (or otherwise we wait for a stores can sales to go up and combine with coupons...even sale and coupons however sometimes cant beat aldi prices lol.
we do a once a month can shop because our closest aldi is about an hour away (though theres a new one comming thats going in neer our local tractor supply so only about 35-40 mins away YAY!, parents can kill 2 birds with one stone, chicken feed and people feed lol)

meat is tough but we generally buy the "big buy" packs from our grocery stores whenever there on sale and keep the chest freezer stocked with various meats. (theres no place locally that i can fnd to buy direct form famr/slaughterhouse otherwise wed do that)

then we do costco for the likes of olive oil, milk (our costco has the cheapest milk by almost 50 cents a gallon and it tastes better than the same percentage from the grocery store) basmati rice and baking goods.
(and again we do try to pull in the coupons whenever possible too lol)

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I get my staples from LDS cannery in Indianapolis- milk is especially a good buy from here. Sam's Club has Augason Farms brand which come in a 2-pks. The cheese powder is WONDERFUL. Emergency Essentials has a wide variety of foods in #10 cans, from baking powder to popcorn, which have very long shelf lives.