Where to buy antibiotics without a prescription?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many online stores that cater to vet or farmers carry stuff.

I can go to the farm and ranch store here and get some. Off label for certain things, but if you know the dosage, well...

I'm not culling a non-food breeder hen just because she got an infection from a puncture.

Certain meds are prescription only, though. Usually the newest ones

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm almost certain he got hit in the ear with a baby copperhead. We have a bumper crop of them this year. I keep the shotgun by the door for easy access (wife insisted).

I need to cut a slit in his ear so it will drain, then follow it up with amoxicillin for two weeks.
IMG_20180912_181807264_TOP.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think you're going to create a blood bath the likes of which you've never seen before! Aural hematoma are so messy they're usually treated surgically. Draining them is usually ineffective, because they keep bleeding into the ear. But, if vet was not an option, I would try draining with a syringe first. See if you get lucky. I'd also get vet wrap and bandage the ear in a way so that the dog can't move the ear when he shakes his head.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think you're going to create a blood bath the likes of which you've never seen before! Aural hematoma are so messy they're usually treated surgically. Draining them is usually ineffective, because they keep bleeding into the ear. But, if vet was not an option, I would try draining with a syringe first. See if you get lucky. I'd also get vet wrap and bandage the ear in a way so that the dog can't move the ear when he shakes his head.

Thanks here is what I gathered for treatment ---> https://m.petmd.com/dog/conditions/ears/c_dg_dog_ear_hematoma

Many different treatments exist for ear hematomas. The fluid within the hematoma can be drained but the hematoma is likely to recur and may need to be drained numerous times. Many veterinarians prefer to lance the hematoma and drain the fluid under anesthesia. In most cases, a drain is placed in the ear to keep additional fluid from building up within the ear flap or, alternatively, sutures or other devices may be placed through the ear flap to discourage additional accumulation of fluid and recurrence of the hematoma.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For copperhead bites I give my dogs benedryl and baby aspirin. I use arnica care pills doe the pain.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew...glad it was relatively simple. Hope it doesn't re-occur!

Yep me too... I need to learn how to do simple procedures like this anyways. Living out in the middle of nowhere. If I we're raised on a farm instead of in the city this stuff would most likely be second nature. He's laying on the front porch steps where he usually does. I went out to check on him and he jumped up wagging his tail like he always does also.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sure is a good thing to know. Drug prices are insane here in the U.S. I don't use any prescriptions, but lots of people do and it comes down to either eating or medicine.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, Marianne. I'll be sure to let my dtr know about this company, and perhaps even order an Albuterol inhaler for myself. there are times when I know I'd benefit from it, but have let my Rx. expire b/c I find it stupid to pay $50 for a medication that I may not even use before the "use by" date.