where's everyone at?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I checked out some of his articles and he gives you much to think about.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tortoise wins!

Not quite. ;) Either me or another former member who left in the big cleanout was 1 and 2 members to first post on this forum.

there was some bully activity. I stopped posting for a while because there was a member who overflowed with negativity.

Yes...and not one member but a small pack of them....one was even a mod, banded together to bully anyone who was actually LIVING more self-sustainably and had experience to share, whereas they were only armchair homesteaders who planned to do it "someday" but had nothing real to share here except the ability to start arguments. People got tired of posting, as these people would post on their thread and turn it into a bad thing that needed to be locked. At that point, why even post?

That's when journals started. Journals were an attempt to have a safe house where you could post without being attacked so much on your own home ground...it still happened but not as much. I know this because I started the first journal....got so tired of being bullied. It worked a good bit, as mods were more reluctant to lock down a whole journal. Then it worked so well that all the good information started being posted only on journals.

But...there's no fun in that as it's hard to keep track of what everyone is doing unless you visit each and every journal and much good info was missed by this. So, people drifted to other places where the moderation could control the bullying better and we lost many, many great members with wonderful experience to share. After that, the bullies were the majority and all the good information was gone, soI left then too but checked in periodically to see if that faction was still in play...it was for a very long time and during that time I rarely posted.

It's just recently, with Sumi as mod that I've slowly started to trust this forum again, but I'm still wary. Much time is spent posting here, time is valuable, so if one is to share experience and use their valuable time, it must be for a worthy cause or place. Sumi is making it just such a place, so I'm here and softly sticking a toe in the water.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Beekissed @sumi @Britesea @baymule @Hinotori @Joel_BC @frustratedearthmother and others
I wasn't here for the great shake up. But I've been reading through a lot of old posts. I'm really glad you're all here. We're late to the game but all the old posts have really been helpful, and I'm really enjoying getting to know you all. Thanks for keeping this site going! :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I only joined shortly before everything happened.

I took a year off of pretty much everything when hubby was sent on the road the first time. He's got a different job now that is much less stressful

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Beekissed @sumi @Britesea @baymule @Hinotori @Joel_BC @frustratedearthmother and others
I wasn't here for the great shake up. But I've been reading through a lot of old posts. I'm really glad you're all here. We're late to the game but all the old posts have really been helpful, and I'm really enjoying getting to know you all. Thanks for keeping this site going! :)
And we're really glad you are here! :hugs It's in the nature of forums that people come and go and some stick around. It's lovely to have the "old timers" with their knowledge and experience and it's lovely to have new members with new ideas and input join too. I'm hoping in time to see this forum regrow to be as busy, if not busier, as it used to be years ago.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score