Which Resource To WASTE: Water or Electricity

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oops, I should probably mention that we have a well too but we don't drink the water from it unless we're desperate. It's a very shallow dug well that someone drilled an extension into (horrible well to deal with LOL). We just get our drinking water from the spring.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Oops, I should probably mention that we have a well too but we don't drink the water from it unless we're desperate. It's a very shallow dug well that someone drilled an extension into (horrible well to deal with LOL). We just get our drinking water from the spring.
Good thought, around here a well less than 120 feet deep would be considered for livestock only and not potable for humans. Also a well pump could cost as much as 25 cents an hour to run.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods I would waste the water because we are in a well with an extremely high water table. Do you have a well or city water?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
xpc said:
lupinfarm said:
Good thought, around here a well less than 120 feet deep would be considered for livestock only and not potable for humans. Also a well pump could cost as much as 25 cents an hour to run.
Oh the water is potable! ... It tested at 0/0, but we just don't drink it because there is spring water, free, and in the winter our pipes sometimes freeze.

We also have a livestock well, but even the water from that well is potable.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Oh the water is potable! ... It tested at 0/0, but we just don't drink it because there is spring water, free, and in the winter our pipes sometimes freeze.

We also have a livestock well, but even the water from that well is potable.
Looking at where you live I wouldn't doubt you have a potable well at 10 feet deep. Where I use to live the water bill went up from $35 a month to $80 a month because of a new treatment plant. I installed a rainwater harvesting system that collected it through the sump pump 6 feet deep and into barrels in the basement so as to hide it.

I sent it in once for $20 and it came back potable. I only used it for clothes washing and toilet filling though. Remember most municipalities will charge you more for sewage than for water, so for every click your meter turns is a double click on your water bill. Every washer load was 60 gallons and each flush 3 gallon - it saved me much money.

Where I live now I get 1300 gallons for $6.65 and normally only use 600 gallons of it, I still conserve even though I have an available 700 seemingly for free. If I had big storage tanks I would pump the extra into them every month for later usage but it is not worth it at this price.

As to quote a previous post "To be brutally honest, I don't really "go green" unless it saves me money" (shame on you Ldychef2k) but I also mirror that same ideology, I will save and conserve only if it is saving me money - also won't squander for the sake of that either. I say let the grand kids make water from moon rocks and leave me be.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Haha, yeah. We're very lucky where we are though, we have a fairly high water table on our property whereas our neighbour down the street is always on edge about not having water (he's a beef cattle farmer) and one year they had a well drilled, no water. I'll never forget what his son told me, "At least our basement is never wet" LOL... We also don't have a basement (we have a cellar, our house is from around 1850).

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
xpc said:
I say let the grand kids make water from moon rocks and leave me be.
Wow--I hope you're joking! I think in the future wars will be fought over water. So, even though I have a lot of it available to me, I still conserve as much as I can.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
xpc said:
I say let the grand kids make water from moon rocks and leave me be.
Wow--I hope you're joking! I think in the future wars will be fought over water. So, even though I have a lot of it available to me, I still conserve as much as I can.
Of course I'm kidding, didn't you read the part where I am only using half the water I pay for? Also I use less than 1/4 the national average in both water and electricity, my house is 100% electric for everything including heat, cooking, and hot water but only use 200 kWh a month. All my combined utilities for total existence is less than $50 a month and is only that high because my electric company has a $20 customer charge.

And there is nothing wrong with the kids drinking moon rock water, haven't you been keeping up with the moon pie advancements?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Given the original parameters I would put the warm water in the fridge.
However - I lived in the SF Bay Area for 25 years, and must ask - how can the water get so hot that there is a problem? Garden hose, yes, but the water pipes leading to the kitchen sink? You live further inland than I ever did.
And, did anyone think to purge the pipes, fill the Brita, and let it sit on the counter until reasonably cool before refrigerating? (As one should do before putting anything, such as dinner leftovers, in the fridge)
Or, as we do, fill the Brita, and leave it permanantly on the counter, and use ice as needed? (Very seldom, as we both have European tastes, and ice is rarely needed)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
xpc said:
And there is nothing wrong with the kids drinking moon rock water, haven't you been keeping up with the moon pie advancements?
;) Guess I better brush up on it since not many folks are doing as well as you are! Way to go! I hope to get much lower, but I have a husband who thinks 15-min showers on full pressure every single day are his due in life and kids who don't understand the concept of conserving water. :idunno I'll keep working at it.