Which Resource To WASTE: Water or Electricity

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
eggs4sale said:
Given ANY choice, I would raze my neighbors houses and build a nuclear facility to generate the power.

Given your two choices, I say I would have done whatever was easier at that moment.

My 2 year-old pooped GREEN STUFF on the floor today. I probably used 30 gallons just on that one episode.
Perhaps you should hold out on the deep fat fryers and chocolate for a while?
:hide
You may have a point there.

I thought of something. Putting hottish water in the fridge can make the other items go bad faster, like mayonnaise. THAT would be yucky, and mayonnaise costs more than 2 gallons of tap water.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
Given ANY choice, I would raze my neighbors houses and build a nuclear facility to generate the power.

Given your two choices, I say I would have done whatever was easier at that moment.

My 2 year-old pooped GREEN STUFF on the floor today. I probably used 30 gallons just on that one episode.
:lol: :gig ......can't breathe...... :lol: :lol: :gig

Whew! Oh, Boy, that felt good! :p

I would waste the electricity. Its cooling the unit anyway and I couldn't see that the water would be that incredibly hot from cold water pipes that it would increase the running of the fridge that much.

I choose wasting the kilowatts! :frow

Or........you could make some sun tea with your three gallons of warm/hot water and then pop it in the fridge when room temp! :D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
eggs4sale said:

:lol: :gig ......can't breathe...... :lol: :lol: :gig

Whew! Oh, Boy, that felt good! :p
What felt good? Have you got your depends on Bee?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
<sniffs disdainfully> NO, BB, I do not have my depends on, thank you very much! :tongue Just you wait, you young whippersnapper! You'll be old someday...... :old

:D :lol: :frow Hey, BB, what's shakin?

It felt good to laugh! I work around folks with HDD all day and it feels good to read someone who understands the fine points of good humor! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nifty
No one read your disclaimer.
LOL
Everyone's minds went into SS mode and couln't resist..HA HA HA

I choose #2 --waste electricity based on my location. Being in the south water is more important to save. It wasn't based on cost for me.

Problem with a hypothetical question is who you are asking and where they live and their circumstances under which water and electricity are available etc. Well, you know what I mean..LOL

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I'd waste the electricity, not the water.

Nifty......I'd like to ask WHY your cold water pipes get so hot. What's the reason?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'd put the warm water in the fridge (well, I wouldn't, but I'm working with your disclaimer here :))

Here's why: Electricity has tremendous inputs to create it. While are you are running your water to wait for it to cool, you are also using electricity to pump it. In the fridge, you are using more electricity, but maybe it is somewhat offset by just getting the water out and going with it.

OTOH, all that electricity was created somehow, possibly even through a process that used a lot of water...

Hmmmm... :idunno

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Nifty said:
You guys are killing me! The point of this discussion wasn't

"Hey, I'm an idiot... I don't know what to do with warm water and plumbing problems... please help me come up with solutions!"

It is: "Here is a hypothetical situation with only 2 hypothetical outcomes... which would you choose."

I guess for those bent on solving problems I should have left out all the background and just posted a thread only saying:

Would you rather waste 3 gallons of water or waste 2 kilowatt hours of electricity?
I conserve both water and electricity and as said before would choose the water to save. My water rate here is 1/2 penny per gallon and 10 cent per kilowatt hour, so using your 3 gal / 2 kWh numbers it would be 1.5 cent vs 20 cents, but would highly doubt the 2 kWh number as that would be the energy on average to cool the fridge for a full 24 hours, my guess would be closer to 100 watts to cool a gallon of water (1 cent).

This is based on 1 gallon of water 40 degrees over ambient having 330 Btu's of stored heat energy and 100 watts of power approximately the same. Of course the efficiency and type of fridge along with how you operate it will dictate the actual cost and time, but should be close enough for a hypothetical question.

Also 3 gallons would be equivalent to purging about 300' feet of piping.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would also fill a bucket with that water, we keep a wash tub in our sink for dishes and then water the garden with it (then again we also have a dry well so the water is going back into the earth..., our sink drains into the dry well).

We also get our water from a natural spring on the other side of our town, it wastes gas to go there but it's "free" and we can fill up all our bottles at once and we just stick them on the cooler at home.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Since I have a well, I'm wasting electricity AND water if I run 3 gals. down the sink, but then, I don't have to pay for the water.....so....

:idunno

For me, its simple because I'm rather simple.....I can see the water running down the drain and my instinct is to object to this because I used to pay for water.

But electricity.....I really can't SEE it being used or wasted...unless someone left a light on or something. Since the fridge runs anyway and I wouldn't actually notice if it had to work a little harder and use more juice? It doesn't seem as real and so I wouldn't care as much.

I know....that's not too bright but its just one of those things about me. The water is just more tangible! :D