Which Resource To WASTE: Water or Electricity

Reaction score
Just let the water run all the time so it's always cool.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
You guys are killing me! The point of this discussion wasn't

"Hey, I'm an idiot... I don't know what to do with warm water and plumbing problems... please help me come up with solutions!"

It is: "Here is a hypothetical situation with only 2 hypothetical outcomes... which would you choose."

I guess for those bent on solving problems I should have left out all the background and just posted a thread only saying:

Would you rather waste 3 gallons of water or waste 2 kilowatt hours of electricity?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
For those who did understand the reason for my post:

Yes, I tend to agree. Living in an area where we are often in a drought I've been conditioned to conserve water way more than electricity.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Well if you had said it that way to begin with. I guess some of us SSers on a on different frame of mind.

I would choose whichever cost less. For us, thats water, so I would choose the three gallons.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't consider it a waste to flush the pipes of water I don't consider potable, sitting in the pipes, incubating who-knows-what and picking up plastic molecules to boot. I consider it a given. So it was hard to wrap my brain around the question.

In today's toxic world, we cannot always be as environmental as we'd like and not compromise the health of our families.....not without creative thinking, anyways.

The question also left out too many details......Do you have a well? Public water supply? Is your source of electricity based on fossil fuels? Solar? Wind? A team of hamsters on wheels? :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am on flat rate water. I would let it run into a pot and then save that pot for canning. Then fill not only the filterer but every pitcher I could fit into the fridge and then put them in the filterer as needed.

To be brutally honest, I don't really "go green" unless it saves me money.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Run the water!!
We let our 4 yo take 2 or 3 showers a day and just let her play in there....so I know for a fact that we would just waste the water!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
In my case, I'd run the water and save the electricity.

As mentioned before though, (hypothetically) I'd have to figure which costs the least amount and do that. Just opening the fridge you are dumping cool air to the floor that has to be replaced on top of the extra electricity to cool water.

But wait... I have a well and a pump that uses electricity.... so running the water longer uses more electricity. But, cooler water... ARRRGHH! I'll just go buy a cold six pack and forget the water!

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Given ANY choice, I would raze my neighbors houses and build a nuclear facility to generate the power.

Given your two choices, I say I would have done whatever was easier at that moment.

My 2 year-old pooped GREEN STUFF on the floor today. I probably used 30 gallons just on that one episode.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
Given ANY choice, I would raze my neighbors houses and build a nuclear facility to generate the power.

Given your two choices, I say I would have done whatever was easier at that moment.

My 2 year-old pooped GREEN STUFF on the floor today. I probably used 30 gallons just on that one episode.
Perhaps you should hold out on the deep fat fryers and chocolate for a while?
:hide