Who among you has defended the United States in Uniform?

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I did not serve, but I have a lot of relatives that did. After being discharged, my father ran a New York State armory for a number of years and finally retired when I was 17. I've known a lot of soldiers over the years and try to always remember to thank them. For anyone here at SS that I might have missed, I'd like to personally thank each and every one of you. You have made a difference in my life and I am greatly humbled by the sacrifices of you and your families.

mythreesons

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My dh is a Marine and served our country during Desert Storm.

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am a Navy Vet. I was in from May 1982 to March 1987. I was a MR2 when I got out. Machinery Repairman. E-5. Worked in the machine shop and the engraving shop. I met my husband onboard the ship we were on. He was a HT2, a welder and pipe fitter on board.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DebFred said:
I am a Navy Vet. I was in from May 1982 to March 1987. I was a MR2 when I got out. Machinery Repairman. E-5. Worked in the machine shop and the engraving shop. I met my husband onboard the ship we were on. He was a HT2, a welder and pipe fitter on board.
:welcome
Welcome MR2! Prior HM2, then later LCDR. Spent my time on the Nimitz, Nassau and even a bit of time on the Sumner (a tin can).
We here are an interesting group, many of which have served our nation. We are glad to have you here!
MR's and HT's are the folks who really DO STUFF. Those skills are really valuable. I'll bet stuff is in good repair around your home!
Thank you for serving our nation. Thank you for defending liberty and freedom. While I pray we will never again, need you to do those things we were taught in the service, I am sadly able to report that it may not be that way for long.

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you LCDR. Appreciate your post. After we married, and had our sons, I went to nursing school. So we have a varied amount of "talents" that will help us in our endeavors to become more self sufficient. Yes, things are generally in good repair. Hubby is rather anal about that, which is good. He can make or fix about anything. Our sons both were Army. Oldest is still in, and plans on staying in for his 20. Youngest got out when his time was up, and he is back home. Not his cup of tea. He is working as a pizza guy for now till he decides what he wants to do. Army will pay for schooling, as you know.

Hubby and I met on the USS Puget Sound, AD 38. She was the flagship of the Sixth Fleet at the time, and homeported in Gaeta, Italy. We took her back stateside in the fall of 1985. She has since been decommissioned, and now scrapped. Makes me sad....

Okay, enough rambling. I am enjoying this though, too much. I should be researching chickens and rabbits some more!!

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My brother served USMC for 5 years, mustered out in 2008. He isn't hand-on involved in our prepping because he's in a different state, but he encourages us (his sisters), agrees with it all, helps us come up with ideas, and has made his plans to get his wife and inlaws safely to our ranch when the time comes :)

steve_of_sandspoultry

Turkey Steve
Reaction score
USN here, FTG, Fire Control Technician, Submarines

Served on

USS Proteus AS-19
USS Los Angeles SSN-688
USS Bremerton SSN-693
USS Emory S. Land AS-39

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
steve_of_sandspoultry said:

Served on

USS Proteus AS-19
USS Los Angeles SSN-688
USS Bremerton SSN-693
USS Emory S. Land AS-39
The most dangerous man in the entire planet...the guy with his finger on "THE button"

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
steve_of_sandspoultry said:

Served on

USS Proteus AS-19
USS Los Angeles SSN-688
USS Bremerton SSN-693
USS Emory S. Land AS-39
The most dangerous man in the entire planet...the guy with his finger on "THE button"
You do know that "THE button" is actually two Keys each under control of officers Who must work together to free up the device?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most everybody knows that actually. The button is just what everyone tends to call it. I know that, and I've never served in the military. :hu

Latest posts