Who among you has defended the United States in Uniform?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
~gd said:
I don't claim to have defended the US by my naval service '60-'63 I qualified for the American Legion due to a short overlap between my hitch and Vietnam but my ship was in dry-dock in NYC at that time. We ducked a few shells but they were fired by our own 3rd Fleet! I was waiting for Top -Crypto clearances at the time so I was given temp duty on YV-3 that provided targets for gunnery practice out of San Diego. Finally got to crypto school when I was ordered to the Naval Academy Prep. School. Washed out there and was sent to be a deck ape on a fleet oil tanker out of Norfolk. My one claim of distinction was that I spent a fairly high percentage of my career mess cooking. No idea of what a MOS is, but I was an E-5 Radarman [operates ship board Radars], the rating no longer exists.
If you served then you defended.

MiracleWik

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm currently Active Duty

HM3 (Navy Medic), served 5 of my 5.5 years of service overseas, currently in support of Africa Partnership. I made this account before I was tasked, and hope to be more active on it now that I'm going home to Virginia in March. My husband, who is home with the toddlers, served for four years in the Navy also.

-Ashley

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband retired just over a year ago with almost 27 years in the Army as an attack helicopter pilot. We are now loving the country life and doing all those things we couldn't while moving every couple of years.
Nancy

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MiracleWik said:
I'm currently Active Duty

HM3 (Navy Medic), served 5 of my 5.5 years of service overseas, currently in support of Africa Partnership. I made this account before I was tasked, and hope to be more active on it now that I'm going home to Virginia in March. My husband, who is home with the toddlers, served for four years in the Navy also.

-Ashley
:thumbsup Ashley,
Please. You are a navy corpsman, NOT just a "medic"!
From one old corpsman to a young one! Thank you for your service to our country.
HM2/LCDR,MC,USNAVY (ret)
Trim sends
//BT //

BeccaJoVon

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Although I have never served in the armed forces, my kids are active members of the Civil Air Patrol. My oldest daughter will soon be 23. Even though she decided to marry and have children, she has remained active in the CAP. My younger daughter will be turning 20 in May. She graduates with her associates May 15 and is scheduled for boot camp with the USAF as early as June 1. My 13-year-old son is an active CAP cadet, and I suspect he will be likely consider the Air Force as well, as he seems just a tad big envious of his older sister. My youngest son is going on 7 years old and he is chomping at the bit to join CAP. Unfortunately for him, the minimum age is 12.

The CAP has a great cadet program and I encourage everyone with children (or grandchildren, etc.) 12 to 21 years of age to at least look into the program.

http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dad served... I am a Canadian, and so is he. He has an eye problem and the Canadian Navy turned him down, so he went to the US and volunteered for two tours in Vietnam. He doesn't particularly like to talk about it, and I don't know the details of numbers or what the MOS? is.

He worked with arresting gear on the USS Franklin D Roosevelt aircraft carrier during the first tour... at some point he began to fly in helicopters to retrieve injured soldiers.

Here's the only picture he has of himself on the carrier... he's not the guy in front, you can just barely see his legs under the middle of the plane :)

dadonship.jpg

I'm incredibly proud of my dad for doing what he did... volunteering when others were crossing the border in the other direction to avoid the draft. I'm sorry that I don't know more details about it.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A small general list. I've posted on here before about me. Here we go

ME+ Army

Fathers Side Mothers Side ( My dad loved the irish beauty )
DAD :army/navy 10 yrs Vietnam ALL OF THEM IRISH DRUNKS AND IN JAIL NO SERVICE AT ALL
UNCLE KEN : army
UNCLE BILLY: marines Vietnam
UNCLE PETER army

GRANDFATHER: army KOREA
UNCLE JACK army WWII Germany

This is what I have found out in my family so far. My father has all the info I'll have to ask.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Both DH and I have served, US Army (I never made it to active duty though :/ ) and several back in eachothers family tree's have served as well.

MiracleWik

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, Trim! I saw your HM2 up top in the first post, that's why I wanted to chime in. You just made me laugh saying I'm not a medic. I hate that too, but I figured it would help others understand. :)

hwillm1977 and ~gd, MOS is Army code for the job you do. It's like the Navy's rating.

-Ashley

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is so great to know what an important bond we all have in common...the love of our country and our willingness to defend our freedom. No matter how you served or when, you stand out among your countrymen as people who "make a difference".
I will change a statement made by President Ronal Reagan," A lot of people spend their entire lives wondering if they ever made a difference. The marines (American fighting man) doesn't have that problem!"
Thank you all for preserving the freedoms that I and the rest of our country enjoy. May it last forever!
Trim Sends
//BT//