Who grows fruit?

hollybird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i grow everything i can get. we get a killing freeze but wrap the tender things with dirt, straw and then plastic. many things i have gotten from northwest nurseries like: one green world, northwoods, and peacefull valley. my favorites are the crossbreed fruit trees like the aprium and plumcot.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I don't know what the best fruit for our area is, but we have a couple apple trees that were here when the property was purchased.

We have raspberries and blackberries that grow rampant all over the place.

We have planted pears, blueberries, and grapes.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
down here in Dixie pecan, fig, apple, peach, plum, blueberry and pear trees are everywhere you look, and you cant throw a rock without it landing in a blackberry bush, but on my land i have peach, fig and surprisingly tasty but a pain to get the meat out of, Hickory trees. Growing wild are dew berry, elder berry (great for wine), muscadine, black berry, may pop, walnut, crab apple, persimmon, and a great tea can be made out of the blossoms of kudzu.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We have an assortment of fruit trees: 18 apple, 2 peach, 2 pear, two plum, two cherry, two satsuma orange (that we bring into the greenhouse for winter) lot's of wild backberry and persimmon, and one solitary lime that just started growing in our backyard area. We had two grape vines but, the deer wore them out in short order. We may try growing grapes again, once we get an area fenced for them.

I'm looking forward to adding a couple of fig trees and a couple of paw paw trees, next year. We have some hickory trees also, and have plans to add a few pecan and walnut trees.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw a post of Craigslist recently selling Turkish Fig Trees for $15.00 each. They are 3-4 feet high.
I thought it was a pretty good deal .
Then yesterday in the foodstore, I saw Turkish figs for sale...ready.......$.79 EACH!! They were not big.
That tells the the tree is a really good deal.

I know fig trees can grow here in NC. Does anyone know how mature the tree needs to be to bear fruit?