Who grows fruit?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
We have lots of wild blackberries and lots (unfortunatley) of wild himalaya's too. In fact one guy I used to work with had an english gardening book on the care of Himalaya's which we all thought was a big laugh. Our care of these hugh canes is 1) Get a blow torch........
That is why the goats are so useful here- blackberries take over everything.
I've never heard of himalayas. What are they?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have some. When we bought the house a couple years ago, it already had a quince tree, three sand plum trees, some other kind of plum (bigger ones), and a persimmon tree, as well as some wild blackberries. I've since added two pear trees, a native crab apple and another plum tree. Plus, I'm letting the sand plums grow a thicket of offshoots. (Can you tell I love plums? LOL)

Cassandra

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I grow blackberries, black raspberries, strawberries, grapes, peaches, cherries, and have a fruit cocktail tree which is a grafted tree that bears - peaches, apricots, nectarines, and plumbs on the same dwarf tree!

I really enjoy all my dwarf trees, but the fruit cocktail tree, which is in my front yard always steels the show with pedestrians in the neighbor hood. I harvested 63+ pounds of fruit off of it alone this year and I originally paid $12.00 for it in Michigan Bulbs bargain nursery catalog.

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have 2 dwarf peach trees and 1 crab apple tree. The squirrels eat the peaches every yr before I can get them and I have never done any thing with the crap apples.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I guess I should have included apples in my list of fruits, but since I never actually get to pick one, (STUPID SQUIRRELS!) I just forget to include them in my list.

I also harvest squirrels in my little box trap. Fried squirrel in gravy - YUM!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We used to have major tree damage to our new fruit trees because of the deer. Somebody told us to hang bars of Irish Spring soap in each tree in some panty hose. It worked, totally! Zero damage this year. The best part is that instead of getting washed off in each rain storm like most treatments, this one gets reactivated

That is how I keep the deer out of my garden! It really does work, I don't even have a fence and they haven't bothered it one bit! I hung Irish Spring Soap off of stakes I pounded into the ground. They hang about 2 ft in the air and I spaced them about ever 3-4 feet all the way around my garden. Much cheaper than a fence and a lot easier to do too!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Irish spring soap---I am glad to know it truly works....I have heard that defense many times and wondered...you are proof it does work. Thanks
Wonder what is in that stuff????? HA HA

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It DOES work! I think nuggetsowner might have cut and pasted my reply from previously, or else I can say I agree with it word for word! We used it on our young fruit trees this year rather than an awful fish-egg-garlic emulsion that had to be reapplied after every rain. We have had NO damaged when they used to be devastated by deer. Plus, like mentioned already, it's reactivated with every rain. It's cheap, easy, and is still working since the bars have not rinsed away yet :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I wonder if it works against my danged squirrels?!

Also it makes me NOT want to take a bath with it. :p

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I grow concord grapes (yummy jelly), cultivated raspberries and blackberries, elderberries, peckham pears, Mac apples and we just planted 2 "Little Big" Apple trees. One is a Honey Crisp and the other is a Mac. I hope they do well :fl