Who grows fruit?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Here in central Wisconsin, elderberries, mulberries, black raspberries and blackberries grow wild everywhere. We have planted purple and red raspberries, peach trees, pear trees, cherry and plum trees, but they're all too little yet to bear fruit. At our old house, we had inherited 9 huge beautiful blueberry trees and have been trying ever since to get some more growing here, but no luck :( We also have rhubarb and currant bushes. Just put in 1 big row of strawberries this year and are hoping for lots of berries in a year or 2...

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Wow- blueberry trees! I have not seen even wild huckleberries over 8 or 9 feet.

I have a couple of small current bushes but no real crop yet. At my previous house I had lots of currents which made wonderful jusices.

What I really want to try is gooseberries- I have never even tasted one.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Oopps! Sorry about the "blueberry trees." I really meant "blueberry bushes." :) Some of them are about 7 feet tall, though!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Oopps! Sorry about the "blueberry trees." I really meant "blueberry bushes." :) Some of them are about 7 feet tall, though!
Wow, they should be trees then. :p

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
We have lots of wild blackberries and lots (unfortunatley) of wild himalaya's too. In fact one guy I used to work with had an english gardening book on the care of Himalaya's which we all thought was a big laugh. Our care of these hugh canes is 1) Get a blow torch........
That is why the goats are so useful here- blackberries take over everything.

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have cherries, apple, plum and pear trees. We also have blueberries.

The deer nearly killed all the trees last year when they ate all the leaves. We didn't get any blooms this year. Plus the weather was odd.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
We have apple trees, a plum tree, pear trees and one peach tree. Just today I picked 12 gallons of apples from 1 tree. Another has about 1/4 of that and one has none. Our peach tree is small and has maybe 6 little peaches on it. One pear tree has maybe 8-10 gallons of pears on it.

I also grow strawberries and pot the runners to sell. I want more blueberry bushes next year. We had to buy grapevines to replace the ones we lost from the drought and late freeze last year. Three years ago, we put up 150 pints of grape jelly. I have 1 little raspberry bush, but I don't think we have the proper climate for it. It never does well.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Better Half said:
We have cherries, apple, plum and pear trees. We also have blueberries.

The deer nearly killed all the trees last year when they ate all the leaves. We didn't get any blooms this year. Plus the weather was odd.
We used to have major tree damage to our new fruit trees because of the deer. Somebody told us to hang bars of Irish Spring soap in each tree in some panty hose. It worked, totally! Zero damage this year. The best part is that instead of getting washed off in each rain storm like most treatments, this one gets reactivated.