who has rain barrels?

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I started out just using this (got free from local water company even though we are on own well) for chicken water in the winter but then not using it in the summer because I dont have a great lid system yet and it will house mosquito babies when stagnet. That's just super lame on my part so now DBFriend is constucting a lid and hose for garden water - system for use all year... Yes I know, it's not a hard thing to collect water in Seattle!

1102_img_4248.jpg

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Mosquitoes or not, it looks so nice! :) I love the sun theme! What is that next to the rain "chain" that looks like perhaps a bird cage or is that your coop? Very cool!

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That was "big brown baby box" when my hens were little and just moved outside. Now it's been moved just around the corner to make room for "big blue dog house reno." It currently provides chicken supply storage (until our next batch of babies that is)!!! The girls are still very fond of it!

33644_picture_206.jpg

6498_picture_319.jpg

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It looks so nice!

Dont you love Rhode Island Reds?!! I think they are my favorite breed of hen. I only have one, "Ruby", and she is sooo smart!

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I really do love these RIR girls, they have great personalities and they are so low maintenance, then lay perfect, pretty eggs. I feel really lucky with these gals... I look at other chickens and wish I had a variety, there are so many cool looking breeds, but why push my luck at this point....

I wish I had a horse! Grew up with a sweetie QH.. Then I had a big beautiful bay thoro a few years ago, looked like your avatar! Got way to busy with corp america and now NOT, so longing for another one.... I think I'm into buckskins now, want a baby!! And I know that I'm for sure super crazy composter/gardener, it's partly because I want the poo!!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
homestead holdout said:
I really do love these RIR girls, they have great personalities and they are so low maintenance, then lay perfect, pretty eggs. I feel really lucky with these gals... I look at other chickens and wish I had a variety, there are so many cool looking breeds, but why push my luck at this point....

I wish I had a horse! Grew up with a sweetie QH.. Then I had a big beautiful bay thoro a few years ago, looked like your avatar! Got way to busy with corp america and now NOT, so longing for another one.... I think I'm into buckskins now, want a baby!! And I know that I'm for sure super crazy composter/gardener, it's partly because I want the poo!!!
I can hook you up with all the poo you want!

I am drying a hill of poo just to burn (outside). The poo-ashes are supposed to be better than composted poo hands down!

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OMG!! Can I PM you? I'm SO EXCITED to get your poo!! Seriously though I am.... My Boy friend knows that I'm the lowest maintenance/cheapest date he's ever had... I'd rather see him driving up with a truck load of poo than anything else, seriously!!!! And actually I wanted to get a load or so in this fall and not compete for good poo with others gardeners in the spring or deal with heavy wet poo this winter......

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
oh boy - this is getting as bad as the bean thread.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
xpc said:
oh boy - this is getting as bad as the bean thread.
:yuckyuck

PM me, that's cool. I see craigslist horse manure free or for sale all the time. I'm way down in south Kitsap...too far perhaps?

I already responded to this thread earlier this summer, but I will say it again so I wont officially be a thread stealer....I have rain barrels, 2 to be exact, but I would love a rain sistern!!! Even a rain swimming pool!!