who has rain barrels?

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just completed my rain barrel system and I have a question. Do any of you use this water for drinking? I have been reading studies about the fluoride in tap water being poisonous for humans and am trying to find a cost effective way to eliminate fluoride. I'm thinking that with the cost of filters it would be cheaper to collect rain water and filter it or go to a good clean river and get clean water to filter. Any ideas?

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have 2 500gal Totes that used to hold fabric softener. (Basically Animal Fat). I shortened the downspouts to pour into these. Works well for the garden with a conversion down to to water hose size.

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had been just putting small plastic containers outside to catching the run off of the house and pouring it into 2 liter soft drink bottles. I was going through that so fast. A couple days ago I was cleaning out an elderly couple in our church flower beds and planting some flowers. My husband has been mowing their yard for years and I told him I needed some water to water the flowers I had planted. He pointed over at a couple of large trash cans and said there's plenty of water. It was rain water. So I got a new large trash can and put it where the water runs off of the house. So I'm so excited because I have a garden this year and I can use it to water the garden.

I read where you put goldfish to keep the mosqitos away. Can I put goldfish in the horses watering container? She can't get to the bottom. Will the water hurt the horse?

My neighbor was laughing at me today but I'm excited.

jackie

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
We have 2 "barrel-sized" rain barrels that are in use. They have a screen filter that was talked about earlier. We have no mosquites in either barrel. We use it for the horses and gardens. The chickens have their own rain barrel, very tiny, but it works. :D I see them on craigslist often for about $40.

Now, back in TX where waters in the troughs (for the horses to drink out of) get warm and food gets dropped in, we ALWAYS used goldfish (along with an automatic waterer) to keep the alge and mosquitoes at bay. Some of those fish grew soo big (4 inches!) with out any maintenance, food etc. When I left and moved north I had to get a friend to adopt that fish! :p My horses were never harmed by having the fish in their water. I knew lots of folks back home that also did that.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we have one at every eve spout on every building we currently have (6 in total at our house that are 55 gal). And one in the orchard at the new farm. This one is not eve fed so it collects very little really but is great for holding water to water the trees with since right now there is no well yet on site.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Jackie,

My husband just suggested the other day we try a trash can rather than pay all the $ for a "rain barrel" . How has your trash can worked out? Is it sturdy enough?

Inchworm

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I keep wondering if it is possible to build a cetrine for around the new barn. The rain barrels are only good for the summer months. But I have not a clue on how to build or who around here you could have build one for you. :/

Ps I wanted to add that we built all of ours out of plastic 55gal drumbs we have been able to find or buy locally. We have about $25 or less in each depending on how much we had to give for the barrels, some we were able to get for free out of the local paper.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just set up rain barrels last month. 1 - 250 gal. tank, $20. 4- 60gal. barrels for free. All from CL and all full now thanks to 6" of rain in April. This is for watering the garden. I also have the spouting from the barn diverted to a 100 gal. trough for the horses, donkey's and goats. 1 good thunderstorm and this one is overflowing. Just need to set up the chicken coop to catch water for them and we'll be all set. :)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I traded a picnic table for a 500 gallon plastic farm tank and I plan on hooking it up to the downspouts of the new 20x24 shed I am having built this weekend. That should provide LOTS of free water for the garden!!